Taper Wound Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Jun 27, 2001.

1. I am in between Dean Markley SR2000 and D'addario Slowounds. I have heard good things about both, but most posts generally stated DM's as bright with good intonation and D'ads as more Mellow. Are DM's too bright? Are D'addarios too mellow to slap?
    I have heard also that the Tapered strings cut will through more when old. Is this true?
  2. I have an RB5 and replaced the installed GHS boomers with a set of GHS Progressives. The Boomers are not taper wound, and the Progressives are taper wound (saddle hugger) on both the B and E strings. I had to change the saddle height because the new strings rode too low. However, I notice the sustain is better with the tapers. The RB5 bridge is designed to use tapers on both the B and E strings.
  3. Try the Pedulla stainless-steel tapers. I had them on my Dean for a while and adored them.
  4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just had a gig last night for Canada Day and I had installed Dean Markley SR 2000 on my Washburn.

I am so used to Dean Markley Blue Steel but I have to admit that the tapers offered great sustain and excellent punch. The SR 2000 will now be my first choice on that Bass. Dean Markley strings manufacturer offer excellent quality on each set you can buy from time to time. They are bright but not as much as the Blue steel.

I had Rotosound Swing Bass put on my Rickenbacker for the first time and was also very impressed. Rotos and Rick go along pretty well.
  5. Well...As i am playing flats right now (and loving them) I'm afraid that they may end up too bright, almost piano-like...
  6. FWIW, don't get the Lakland strings. Only the B is taperwound, which means that it sounds a lot different from the rest of the strings. The Pedullas have a tapered B, E, A, and D.
  7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Dean Markley SR2000 all the way!! Piano string ring and big bottom at the same time.
  8. Another vote for Pedullas. I am currently very happy with my strings. Stainless Steel Rounds, Taper B, E, A
  9. I just ordered a set of Fodera stainless tapers, 45-130. I'll report on them as soon as I get them. Of course, I got them from The Tuning Peg, so we'll probably have moved by then... :(