Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapered B problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    this probably a stupid question, but here goes. i have a warwick thumb 5 and need a tapered B string, i like DR strings, but they only make tapered Bs in .130. i like .135. could i get a set of 4 string DRs and then get a warwick brand .135 B? Would this work, and if it did would it change my sound. i might just get the .130 and see how it goes, but this wont change my sound switching from a .135 to a .130 will it? any help would be great. :confused:

2. I didn't notice going from .130 to .125. I think it's has much to do with what brand it is. A DR lo-rider .125 feels tighter than a .130 of another brand. I've tried using different brands at the same time. It's doable. Just make sure that it's all steel, or all nickel.
    Hope it helps. :)

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    thanks, so i should try the DR hi beam for the first four, and the DR tapered for the B?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd think that getting the warwick, or another brand, at the size that you want should be no problem at all.

5. I thought that the D'addario Slowound tapered b-string was the best B untill I tried a set of lo-riders. Very stiff, and very 'lively' and full range. Probably not so good intonation wise since it's not tapered, but I don't play the b any higher than 5th fret anyway. No b sounds good above that I think. So maybe you should try a complete lo-rider set!? But like JT says you can use different brands at the same time as well.

6. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    anyone know where i can get a set like this? the only place i found was bass central, but i have to get 3 sets minimum, which is $132, and i dont have that much. :confused:

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  8. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i already tried there, master john. if i got them from there id have to get a whole set of tapers as well as a set of hi beams. they have no DR tapers in the 'single strings' page, and even in the set page they only have .125 tapers. the lightest ill go is .130, so ill probably have to contact my old buddy gard and give up $132. keep in mind that im 13 :)D) and i got a new warwick...im paying it of until december :)() heh.