Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapered "B" String Through Body?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jb63, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have a Lakland 55-01. As many of you know it has a 35" scale length and the option to string through the body or just the bridge. I have a set of Elixir extra long strings with a tapered B that
    I want to put on the bass.

My question is whether to string the B through the body or not. If I string it throught the body the taper will not make it to the saddle. I want the strings (especially the B) to feel as tight as possible (who doesn't?). BTW, I plan on going through the body with remaining 4 strings.

Any thoughts, suggestion, opinions, etc?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would try it first not through body. The added clarity and ease of intonation would make it worth it IMO. If the B is flabby, through body won't help much any way.

3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    You can get a set of DR High Beams and Low-Riders with tapered B strings made for the Lakland through body. You can get them through Lakland or call DR to get them through a dealer. I think Lakland only has the High beams.

4. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah, I figured someone made tapered strings for through body basses, but I really like the Elixirs because of the coating and long life, etc.

I suppose it won't make much difference either way.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you can easily find tapered strings that work with thru-body stringing then go for it, but otherwise do NOT go out of your way to string thru-body. The only difference that it *might* have relates to the string's break angle over the saddle. Aside from that, it's simply a more PITA way to thread your strings.