Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapered DRs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fastplant, May 21, 2003.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm a big DR fan, but I have a Thumb5 now that doesn't seem to like the E or B string, they don't fit completely. Does DR make any good tapered strings I should check out? If not, what are some good tapered strings that I should check out if I like the DR sound??

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've had nothing but trouble with the DR long necks I bought, plus the replacemant set DR sent me has the same problem. Maybe the problem was the way the strings interacted with the bridge on my bass, but they had a clashing harmonic when I played above the 12th fret. Don't let DR tell you they've never heard of this problem, because I know of several people that have has the same problem using Tapered A and D strings.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, I emailed her, we'll see what happens.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, she responds quick!!

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, what did she say???

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Me too. Actually BEAD strings sounded like :spit: with warbling overtones. All tapered. I'd had good luck with DR previously, had one iffy string and a DR rep on TBL was very apologetic and offered to replace it. I thanked him and declined. Six months later, when I got the nasty taper-wounds, I emailed him about it and never heard back. Since then I've been playing Elixirs.

edit: P.S. I've heard of this problem often with taper-wound strings though. To me it makes sense as there's a big discontinuity in the unit mass of the vibrating string. Going to cause problems the farther it is from the bridge. So it does depend on your bridge-tailpiece length.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Try the Markley SR 2000. They are tapered and have that snappy DR sound.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I had the same problem with my Warwick FNA Jazzman. I just had the bridge machined out so any kind of string would fit.

PS: Only cost me $45.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

them were the days huh? :p

I'm still diggin' the Status Hot Wires nylon tapewounds
    I got a coupla' weeks ago. Sound REAL nice on my R/A.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Aside from all the overtones, was anyone here successful at intonating their bass?

It sounds like it wouldn't be in tune anywhere towards the upper register & lower strings.

Just curious as to the "benefit" of tapered compared to non, at least in the DR line...

later,
    ~S~

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yo Dev,

I didn't even try - the warbling was so bad I took them off almost immediately and put some Elixirs on.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Geshel,

Hmm, I currently use Fodera strings on my Zon & MTD that aren't taper-cores. The Zon has no issues with intonation while my MTD (Buzz F) is pretty tough to get the intonation perfect with a .145 non-taper. I've got the saddle almost all the way back & foward made it worse.

The MTD had a taper .135 (MTD string) on it & the "into" was perfect. I'm gonna try a tapered .145 next to see what happens then.

BTW, my Zon uses a .168 B, I know it's big but so is my low-end & it can easily go to F# if need be (gotta love graphite)

Basically, I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with this (meaning, regular nut & intonation VS. zero fret & Buzz Feiten) & (non)taper core style strings?

I should've started a new topic on this but I'll give it a whirl here first.

later,
    Satan

PS: I've been doing the "string thing" for 20yrs & still find TONS of mixed results in people's findings & opinions. Sorry for the added confusion & mayhem...

15. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I think if you look at the DR tapered strings you will find the tapered part is longer than other brands of taperwound strings and this causes the final wrap to be further away from the saddles. This is because they are made to fit thru-body bridges as well as stringing thru a standard bridge. Maybe the extra long taper on a standard bridge is causing that problem. Maybe they vibrate too much? If you have a thru-body option try that and see if it eliminates the problem. Example; if you ask DR for a tapered B for a Lakland, the Longneck B is the one you will get. They fit thru the body perfectly. I personally think the are too long for standard bridges. I guess DR is trying to please everyone(tapered,thru-body,standard bridge). I doubt if they would create a line just for regular bridges too.(like SR2000's) Hey, if enough people want it, and tell them, maybe they would.

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I'm resurrecting this crusty old thread.

I just had the exact same problems using tapered DR's on my MTD 535. While I was able to get them supposedly intoned using the Korg tuner with BTFS presets (forget the model), anything past the 12th fret sounded out of tune.

I'm going to get in touch with DR support, will update back here.