Tapered or Non-Tapered B-Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Which do you prefer and why?

I have been using non-tapered B-strings (SIT Stainless Rock Brights) because I feel the non-tapered strings feel less floppy and sound a little more defined to my ears. Am I crazy? :bag:
  2. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

I've always thought that tapered b-strings were preferable in that it's easier for the string to vibrate when it fits in the saddle without any 'overhang'. In my personal experience, non-tapered strings tend to sound a little muddier than tapered strings do, but I'm playing on a 34" scale Ken Smith (not complaining, just saying). I owned a Lakland at one point, and I remember that a non-tapered B sounded better on that bass, but the Tobias (also 34") I sold (why did I ever do that?) also sounded better with a taper core B. So I guess I don't have an answer other than it's probably a matter of preference.
  3. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I've played a great deal with both and depending on the brand and model, you will get different results. I do however like the taper core from most manufacturers better than non-taper. One point to the taper core that some overlook is, they do fit in the bridge and/or saddle better. A bass company that comes to mind is Warwick. A non-tapered B string will either barely fit or not fit in the bridge so the taper core will be best suited for them. Most basses you will not have this problem with though.

Brand-wise, I like SIT the best, I love the tone, they have good tensoin, the brightness lasts longer than others I've tried, and overall, they hold up very well to the pounding I give them. Great company to deal with too if you have any questions.

Best thing to do is give them a try for yourself, everyone has an ear for something different.
  4. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    For some people it is a matter of necessity. I play tapered b black label warwick strings on my thumb bo5 because an untapered b will not fit in the bridge. they sound fine to me. good tone...doesnt flop around at all. i used to use straight b strings on my sr5 but i have found that i really have no noticeable change in sound. i use Labella hrs tabered b's on my sr5 which is tuned to ADGCF and i have no tension or "floppiness" issues. i think its all a matter of personal preference when it comes to sound. on a bass that a tapered and non tapered b will both fit...i say try them both ans go with what you like better.