Tapered strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Staci, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    Hey all long time no post :(
    Anyway I am trying to find out which strings have tapered ends. My Carvin is a string thru. And I have since learned that these work best. I have serched all the string sites but none of them state if they have tapered ends or not. I also prefer flats with tapered ends. thanks in advance Staci.
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I use the Carvin strings on my Carvin bass,( my Washburn doesnt' like taper core strings), but they are roundwound. I think you are gonna have a hard time finding taperwound flats!

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  3. Staci, I would have to agree with Chris on this one. Good Luck trying to find tapered flats! They probably exist... but I have never heard of them.

If you want taper wounds and could tolerate round wound strings, give the Carvin strings a try if you haven't already,they are actually made by Labella. They have a tapered E,A and D strings and come in .100 .80 .60 .40 4 string sets. $10.99/set

Pretty decent strings for the money.
  4. DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    First, I need a definition of "tapered" as it pertains to bass strings. I used to think it refered to the end of the string that wrapped around the tuner. But with the receipt of my new Carvin BB75 (beutiful bass; appearance-wise and sonically), I note that the B, E, A, & D strings all taper at the "ball" end as well.

When we refer to "taper" wound strings do we mean one end (which) or both?

As I stated, the BB75 came with tapered strings (both ends). I have 3 sets of new strings that I bought for my last bass. None of those are tapered at the ball.

When it comes time to change strings, (assuming same diameter) will I have to make intonation adjustments? (I suspect I will)

I like the thought of through-body loading of the strings. Will the fatter ball end cause problems?

5. Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    Tapered was at the ball end so that it will fit correctly in the string thru body. I have decided to try the DR Sunbeams. They are not tapered so I put them on the regular way. I may have to just go that way for awhile.
  6. Hey Staci, I use Dean Markley SR 2000 strings. They're a tapered string except they're roundwound. They're very bright when you put them on, but they hold their tone forever. I've tried the DR Lo-riders and hated them cause they went dead right away, but I have not tried the Sunbeams so you might have better luck.
  7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Be careful, Dean Markley SR2000 will not work with string through body bridges. At least not with Fender American Standard Jazz Basses which is what I have.