taperwound E strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fiddlpat, Dec 25, 2000.

1. fiddlpat

Dec 24, 2000
    Are E strings taperwound as a matter of course?, or will this vary from set to set? I'm a fairly experienced electric guitarist, fiddler, mando, etc., and have just gotten a 58 Longhorn to record with. The short scale medium gauge strings it comes with(50-105) are abit heavy for my tastes, and I have ordered some GHS 7700 short scale lightgauge(40-96) pressurewound strings. I'm hoping the E is taperwound so I won't have any trouble getting it in the post, but I'm new to these details about basses.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    No. E-strings come both ways. However, are you asking about the "north" end of the string that fits in the tuning machine? These will be tapered just about down to the core. "Taperwound" refers to the ball end. Since you are worried about the string fitting into the "post" I'm assuming you mean the end that goes into the tuner. On taperwound strings, the string tapers down toward the ball, so a thinner section, or just the core, contacts the bridge.
  3. fiddlpat

Dec 24, 2000
    Thanks Max. Yes, I was talking about the end that goes into the tuning post. Now I know what taperwound means too. I remember seeing someone lamenting that he couldn't get an E string into a post, on a Longhorn I think, (least I think that's what he was talking about) but I thought that maybe it was because he had gotten the wrong scale string,,,then I started wondering when I saw the term taperwound being used.