1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Taperwound flats for string-through bridges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have an MIA Fender Jazz with a string-through bridge, so I need strings that have a tapercore E, and preferrably also a tapercore A string. Any suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are you wanting tapercores because you like them better, or because you're afraid non-tapercore strings will break quicker on a thru-body bridge? Because they won't. Non-tapercore E and A strings work just fine. The angle of bending isn't nearly as severe as you would think.

But if you just like tapers, pretty much every company makes them in a set.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I was just under the impression that since the bass came with tapercore strings that I needed tapercore strings on there. I don't have tapercores on there now, but that's because I didn't have any. I'm glad to hear that I can put regular strings on there.

4. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a 5 string Zone and I've been using the DR Black Beauties taperwound (DR BKBT-50) plus a 130TW B string from Bass Guitar Stings.com.

I've also used Smith Strings Taper Core Custom Balanced Round Wounds (KS TCRM-5) whilch I liked, too.

Both have held up very well.

I like a low action so the taperwound keeps me lower.

I've never broken a non taperwound string going through the body, but I just don't like how high they end up even if you adjust the saddle the way down. (Hope I got the terms right.)

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Is there something like taperwound flats?