Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taperwound flats for string-through bridges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I have an MIA Fender Jazz with a string-through bridge, so I need strings that have a tapercore E, and preferrably also a tapercore A string. Any suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are you wanting tapercores because you like them better, or because you're afraid non-tapercore strings will break quicker on a thru-body bridge? Because they won't. Non-tapercore E and A strings work just fine. The angle of bending isn't nearly as severe as you would think.

But if you just like tapers, pretty much every company makes them in a set.

3. I was just under the impression that since the bass came with tapercore strings that I needed tapercore strings on there. I don't have tapercores on there now, but that's because I didn't have any. I'm glad to hear that I can put regular strings on there.

4. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a 5 string Zone and I've been using the DR Black Beauties taperwound (DR BKBT-50) plus a 130TW B string from Bass Guitar Stings.com.

I've also used Smith Strings Taper Core Custom Balanced Round Wounds (KS TCRM-5) whilch I liked, too.

Both have held up very well.

I like a low action so the taperwound keeps me lower.

I've never broken a non taperwound string going through the body, but I just don't like how high they end up even if you adjust the saddle the way down. (Hope I got the terms right.)

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Is there something like taperwound flats?