Taperwound Flatwounds STB recommendations?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jeb, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Specifically I have an AmStd Fender P5 and I'd like a set of flats (with taperwound B and E) to string through body.
    Sadowsky seems to have a great offering that I'd like- but not for STB. What are any other options? Thanks.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    No flats have a tapered E string.

That I know of atleast....

3. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Thats what Im finding. Any besides Fender with the tapered B at least?

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just go ahead and string through the bridge. There is no real advantage to stringing through the body anyway. This is especially true with flats. There is a definite advantage to stringing through the bridge with flatwounds.

5. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Well then my ferrules might fall out :)

6. ^^^ Agreed.

The disadvantages and potential risks of putting flats thru body outweigh any advantages, if any... (such as holding the ferrules in place. ;))

Linnin likes this.
  7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I've used Chromes flatwound on my Cort Artisan A6 String Thru Body (though it also has option string on top of the bridge).

WIN_20150813_22_24_45_Pro_zpsjvbawscu.jpg

Now it's strung with GHS Pressurewound, also STB:

IMG_20160620_233801_hdr_zpshtbkrkdq.jpg

and I've reused the Chromes from the A6 on my Curbow 6 fretless:

PB304381_zpshyrjroeo.jpg

So, the Chromes weren't damaged despite used STB and no taper on the low B and E.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  8. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Maybe the taper allows for more precise placement over the saddles. Maybe not who cares. Just checking to see what the community might have ro say. Thanks, especially to Aidil. Great pics.

9. Sorry, but having flats sitting on the saddles at a sharp angle like that would drive me insane! But that's just me and my OCD. ;)

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I also prefer taper low B (and low E and also A) if possible.

Yap, indeed sharp angle they were. :D They had me worried at first... but I'm glad that I could still use them on my fretless without any problems.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021