1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Taperwounds tighter? or not?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by King David, Mar 20, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Do Taperwounds have a tighter sound and/or feel. By this I mean when I play a low E, it sounds kind of floppy. Almost like it was detuned to a D and there was extra slack. Do taperwounds sound less floppy? I believe that I have heard both ways, but I am looking for an improvement.

2. Well, D'Addario Slowounds are my favourite string, and the B is taperwound. It is also the best (for me) B string I have yet come across.

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    So doed it make your low B tighter or mor floppy?

If neither, how does it sound different? Brighter, more trebble, darker, more bass, stonger mid? Just curious.

I have heard that they can make more growl like. I guess I would describe growl as raspy. When I say raspy, I think of Brian Adams. He has a raspy voice vs. say Billy Joel, who has a more smooth voice.

4. None of the above. The "tightness" of the B string comes primarily from the Bass, not the string, although there are some exceptions, eg: Fender B strings sound terrible on any bass. A bass with a very stiff neck will usually make the B sound and feel tighter. Also, a single pickup bass, such as the Stingray will make a B work better, because a B has lots of mass. Two pickups are pulling on this mass in different places, and so restrict the vibration of the string a bit. Two pickup basses almost invariably sound better in the B when one pickup is favoured over the other. If they are both on full, you can usually hear the string lose its focus. The concern with a B string is not so much the growl, but achieving a focussed note with good pitch.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I don't know if they feel tighter or looser,but to me they sound better,I hear the pitches more clearly on the B string with a tapered string.