Taperwounds tighter? or not?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by King David, Mar 20, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Do Taperwounds have a tighter sound and/or feel. By this I mean when I play a low E, it sounds kind of floppy. Almost like it was detuned to a D and there was extra slack. Do taperwounds sound less floppy? I believe that I have heard both ways, but I am looking for an improvement.
  2. Well, D'Addario Slowounds are my favourite string, and the B is taperwound. It is also the best (for me) B string I have yet come across.
  3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    So doed it make your low B tighter or mor floppy?

If neither, how does it sound different? Brighter, more trebble, darker, more bass, stonger mid? Just curious.

I have heard that they can make more growl like. I guess I would describe growl as raspy. When I say raspy, I think of Brian Adams. He has a raspy voice vs. say Billy Joel, who has a more smooth voice.
  4. None of the above. The "tightness" of the B string comes primarily from the Bass, not the string, although there are some exceptions, eg: Fender B strings sound terrible on any bass. A bass with a very stiff neck will usually make the B sound and feel tighter. Also, a single pickup bass, such as the Stingray will make a B work better, because a B has lots of mass. Two pickups are pulling on this mass in different places, and so restrict the vibration of the string a bit. Two pickup basses almost invariably sound better in the B when one pickup is favoured over the other. If they are both on full, you can usually hear the string lose its focus. The concern with a B string is not so much the growl, but achieving a focussed note with good pitch.
  5. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I don't know if they feel tighter or looser,but to me they sound better,I hear the pitches more clearly on the B string with a tapered string.