Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taperwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jordan Luff, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Who make some good taperwounds? I'm look for a set of .135 gauge for me BTB405. I've found Fender Taperwounds and SR2000's, but the Fender's I found were made specifically for Fender axes and the SR2000's from Dean Markley's site come only in medium gauge. I need something to fit the 34" neck. Thanks! :)

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    >the SR2000's from Dean Markley's site come only in medium gauge.

This is not true, they come in many different gauges, including a "Will Lee" signature set. Try juststrings.com and you'll see how many gauges they come in. In the SR2000 sets, all strings are taperwound except the "G". As far as the Fender strings being made specifically for Fender basses this is not true either. The Fender 8250 sets are designed for a string through body bridge. The Fender 8255 sets are designed for a standard top load bridge. These two Fender sets only have taperwound "B" and "E" strings and they are made of nickelplated steel. Most taperwound sets that I know of are made of stainless steel. Here are the sets that I know of:

Fender 8250/8255
    Dean Markley SR2000
    Labella Supersteps
    Ken Smith Taper Core
    Rotosound RS99 Piano String Design

There are other sets too, look through the juststrings.com website to find them.

3. I know. Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant that's as high as they went, from what I saw on the website.

I know, I meant the 8250's when I said that...this is what I gathered from juststrings.com, anyhow (that the 8250's were made specifically for Fender's string through body basses). Again, bad communication on my part.

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yeah, I misunderstood you. I just browsed the juststrings.com website and the only .135 gauge taperwound I could find was a GHS Progressive single string. As far as I know, these are "alloy 52" whick is sort of like nickel plated steel. D'addario has a .145 taperwound XL nickel plated string, and Ken Smith has a .145 taperwound stainless steel string. Hope this helps. As far as the Dean Markley SR2000, I know that you can contact them directly to make special gauges for you. I think the minimum purchase is probably like 12 sets though. John Turner should know!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what gauges are you looking for?

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I think Jordan wants .135 gauge taperwounds, judging by the first post.