1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapes on a bass VI?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Oct 13, 2017.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Anyone using tapes on their VI? I would love to hear what they sound like?

I love using a pick and palm muting my VI with rounds but figuring with tapes it would really nail that 60's clicky bass vibe

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    LA Bella makes the black and white tapes for the VI

3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I know...you tried them?

4. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    I used them briefly, they were extremely loose feeling. Sounded fine, but the tactile response was not doing it for me. I do think if you are curious its worth a try so you know for yourself.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I wondered why La Bella even bother to make tapes for VI, cause rationally these would be far loose tension than what already loose with regular roundwound VI strings...

That's why I opted for La Bella flatwound to get vintage / more fundamental bass sound out of my SRC6 (Ibanez's VI).

6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    You had chance to compare them to flats? How do they compare

The loose tension is something i hadn't considered. I used to have a Viola 30" bass, tapes were fine but they were the high gauge Roto 88's (E is .115 i think)

7. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    On a Fender VI?

Labella Flats to Labella Tapewound is like going fro. Steve Harris sigs to 1/2 step down tuned TI's. The tapes are floptacular, but they look and sound good.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017