1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tapes on a 'modern' style bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourBanger, Mar 23, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I was daydreaming about my new SR300M and browsing bassstringsonline.com while I did and I got to thinking about old school strings on modern style basses. There were some old threads about flats on Soundgear basses, but has anyone ever done tapewounds on one or similar?

I can imagine it being either a magic mojo mix of old and new, the preamp of the modern bass being able to get versatility out of the tapewounds, or I can also imagine it being the compromise nobody should make, the new bass robbing the mojo the strings are supposed to have.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I wouldn't see it as a compromise - I'd see it more like you said, with the preamp able to get a lot of versatility out of the tapewounds. Go for it!

3. I have a 5 string fretless Carvin Icon (all Walnut) on order with active humbuckers and a Piezo preamp. At my request, it will come from the factory with tapewounds.

I've used tapes on other basses and have been surprised at their versatility, which is why I have them planned for this bass. I'm looking forward to it.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Go for it. I have an SR1305 converted to fretless and have use LaBella tapes on it for years. They are somewhere right in between flats and rounds sound wise and they last forever.