Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapewound and black coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xeraphan, Nov 20, 2003.

1. I was thinking about trying some tape wound strings on my fretless but the guages all seem to be pretty huge...

Has anyone tried those black coated fender strings or those new DR black beauties?

I'm looking for something that is easy on my fingers as well as my fingerboard. The tape wounds were my initial choice but I don't really want to have to saw away at my nut so that they will fit.

Opinions of, or experiences with either type of strings would be great!

Thanks

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've played acoustic Carvins (fretted and fretless) and a Warwick Thumb fl with the Labella tapewounds, and was pleasantly surprised. Airy, "open" tone, good high end, not overly bright. Smooth, good for sliding and tapping. Not much mwah (at least not with medium action), dunno if lowering the action would help.

If I was doing lighter styles of music I would probably get a set.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm another fan of the Labella black tapes - I currently have them on my Tacoma ABG, and want to try them on my FNA (as soon as I can find my sidecutters!).

I've found they're pretty tolerant of nut variances - don't forget, there's some "give" to the nylon wrap. Get a set and try! Carvin has them for cheap.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from Treena: I rescently restrung my 83' fretless with a set of

NYLON TAPEWOUND
    GAUGE: .058 .072 .092 .110

I also use these strings on my 78 Fretless. They
    last forever, my set has been on for 10 years.
    [​IMG]

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Status Hotwire nylon tapes aren't as large as say,
    LaBellas or Rotosounds ( 45-65-85-105 )

They sound good on my R/A :)

6. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I've used the LaBella tapewounds for years on my Gibson EB-0L.

The coated strings are not the same as tapewounds.

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I also really like the LaBella Tapewounds on my fretless 5. It's a Carvin bass and I get the strings from Carvin.

8. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Nylon tapewounds on my Cirrus Maple. A beautiful thing.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just got finished (minutes ago in fact) putting a set of LaBella 760N Black nylon tapewounds on my Stambaugh fretless 5. So far so good.

10. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I picked up a set of Fender 9120s a while back at Blue Guitar in old towne San Diego cheap as an experiment on a fretted American P over maple
    - experiment was a success and now only wish Fender would come up with a B string version / 5 set
    so my next try are gonna be LaBella or ?

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You mentioned the DR Black Beauties in the first thread - they're not flats. Just rounds with a black coating.

I have a set, and they'll be up on www.basstasters.com in a few weeks. The Bootzilla (coated steel round) is up now.