1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tapewounds and string-thru...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I have a Precision bass that has the "string-thru" option. I'm getting some D'Addario tapewounds in and wondering if I can put them on "string -thru" or should I just go through the bridge.
    Also, I use EB Flats now, 45-100. The tapewounds are 50-105. Will the jump up in gauge effect the action? I'm guessing it's possible.
    Has anyone tried the tapes? Thanks.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Rob Allens are string through with LaBella tapewounds so I think you'll be fine. The thicker gauge is due to the wrapping so I wouldn't think that they would be any tighter.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Should be fine. Especially if you are getting flats through there, the tapes are a bit more flexible.

You mainly need to worry when the break angle is very extreme when passing through the through body section and the string is not very flexible.

4. The flats are getting through but I do trim some of the "wrap" off of the E string...maybe one or two wraps, not much.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Are you referring to the Silk? (colored thin thread?)...

If so yeah that is pretty common. This sometimes needs to be done with flatwounds as well depending on the instrument.

These days the silk is mostly for aesthetics.

6. Yes....the EB's have blue silk.