Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapewounds for 6ers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 2, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hello, I did a search on this with minimal results. Anyways I was wondering what companies make the black tapewound strings for 6 strings. I checked Rotosound and LaBella and neither seemed to have any.

Thanks
    Baker

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Hmmm.. I've never seen a 6 string set of tapewounds offered
    anywhere. You might try a set of Thomastik flats...

Slug

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    checked em. They don't make them. I saw a 6 string or 2 (one was on the Alembic site) with tapewounds... I did manage to find that Dean Markley make them so I was pretty stoked but then I was looking at other strings and read this description:
    "Once there was a British bass string that everyone loved. Who wants our hard-earned bucks going out of the country, anyway? We did something about it. Super Round recreates that Bass String perfectly… and then some. So let's keep the bucks in the States and play an even better string… okay?"

I'm not anti-American but I mean honestly...*** that's kind of disgusting, I guess some super patriots will like the idea though. Anyways back on topic: so far I've checked

Rotosound
    LaBella
    GHS
    Infeld
    Dean Markley
    D'Addario
    Ken Smith

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I meant the Thomastik nickel flats. Super nice...
    I can see your point about keeping our money in the US and
    all that, but my band has a cost endorsement with Rotosound;
    for me, they are the best, and they treat us like GOLD!!!
    None of the US companies even called me back...

Slug

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I know i mean how many basses r actually made in the US nowadays? I mean there's TONS TONS made in Korea and Mexico Europe etc... and basses cost a whole lot more than 1 set of strings. and i find it just childish and hypocrite and ignorant to post somehting like that to advertise strings. FYI I also only use Rotosounds, but they don't make tapewounds for 6 :( otherwise I would look no further. Sorry if somebody takes offense to my posts, it's late and I,m speaking rather freely and not in the greatest of moods, not being able to find a set of tapewounds for a 6 isn't helping ;)

Peace
    Baker

6. For once, CrazySean is here to save the day...

You can buy the 6th string of the LaBella tapewounds seperately here, my friend:

http://www.bigcitystring.com/labellb.htm

My work here is done. :) Thank you and good night... :oops:

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The La Bella 6 string tapewound set is 760N-CB.

Tom

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I know that. On the site they don't list them for sixers though. I'll see if my store can order the strings. Thanks Sean, it's just I'm not sure I want to order strings off the net cause they I have to pay shipping and all that garbage but it may still be cheaper... either this will be one expensive set of strings :meh: Thanks guys.

9. I hate repeating myself on this forum, but you can buy a set of the 5 strings the cheapest online here: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=5012&CID=ACC

Then order the single 6th string from bigcity or some other place you find. I ordered my LaBellas from bigcity with no problems. They are a little pricey, though. And I understand having to pay $4 shipping for strings is a little much, but you're not likely to find these strings any where else. Plus, they last a long time (2-3 years at best), so it's a worthy investment.

Good luck finding them in a store...

Sean

EDIT: Having a local store order a set of 6 for you would be the easiest thing to do. But I don't know if they would be cheaper.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You do understand that Tappel knows the model number b ecause he sells strings, right?

You're not seeing the info that is being given to you...

I use LaBella Tapewounds on my 6 string ABG. I bought 5 string sets from Carvin, and bought single 'C' strings, individually, online.

It wasn't that tough. And, you'll be hard pressed to find a good price on a 6 string set anywhere. As for having to pay shipping--how is that any worse than paying taxes? :confused:

For such an esoteric purchase as a tapewound 6 string bass set, you'd probably be best served by getting them online.

11. You pretty much echoed what I said. Thanks. :)

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Okay when I get the bass I'll ask a store and compare with the online stuff. thanks guys. Oh and I didn' know tappel sold strings, my bad :oops:

13. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    After a litle research it seems that Rotosound offers a single tapewound .050 string that you can package with the 5 string set, so that may be another option if your local retailer is willing to special order it.

Tom

P.S. The G string on the Roto set is .065, so that .050 would work as the C.

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks, Although I've heard bad things about the Rotosound tapewounds... they also seem wicked expensive (I believe they were 80 bux for a 4 string set)

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Not to be nitpicky, but you sorta contradicted yourself Sarge...It appears
    you can assemble a 6 string Rotosound tapes for
    your needs. You're right, however, $80 for a set
    of bass strings is absurd. Maybe some kind soul
    at Talkbass can pick up a set for you. I've never
    had a problem with these strings. Try a set and
    form your own opinions???

Slug

16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Kind suggestion but I do not wish to bother any body for a set of strings. And all I did was check the Rotosound site and couldnt find the whole buying a single string thing... I have heard bad things about those strings but I am very partial to Rotosound so if I ever get the chance and the price is right I would like to try a set.

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Next time I do an order, I'll see if I can get a promo set for
    you. It'll probably be closer to the end of the year, as i just received a large order last month, but let me see what I can
    do.

Slug

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    thanks alot man, I really appreciate it. I went to a store today and the Roto'S were only 40 for a 4 string set.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What's wrong with the LaBellas, again? :eyebrow:

Under $36US for a 5 string set from Carvin.

I've ordered single C strings from juststrings.com for about $10US each.

That's under $40US.

Are LaBellas no longer acceptable?

20. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    no I actually wanna try LaBellas... I never said there was something wrong with them. I just don't like ordering stuff online especially from Carvin...I ordered my bass June 11, it was estimated to be done July 13... and it still isn't dont cause of "paint problems" that have been going on for like 2 weeks (not to mention the whoole mishap when I first ordered it). I have to check my store, I forgot last time cause I was in a hurry and just checked the rotos cause they were yellow and I noticed them (I also had to check on pickups and the guy didn't know what Model P and UltraJazz DiMarzios were so he needed help and it took long and I was in a super hurry.)

Thanks,
    Baker