1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapewounds for Rumblekat

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Erstokke, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Erstokke

Erstokke

Apr 25, 2015
    My Epiphone Rumblekat will arrive next week, and I am considering putting tapewounds on it.

I have read a number of threads here with a lot of people recommending LaBella black tapewounds. But which exact set? They come in different lengths, so I'm pretty shure I need short scale. But which gauge?

Also I would rather not make larger groves in the nut.

Other brands - if so which exact set?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The only two manufacturers that make sets that do not require nut modifications are the D'Addario and the La Bella light gauge. La Bella light gauge come in black (round tone) white (brighter comparatively) Copper (complex mids, softer top - more for acoustic-electric instruments) and the new gold (like seated in nickel rounds with the tone turned down a notch)

Each of the these sets comes in 50-105. They will feel really loose, more like a 40-95 conventional set, because the nylon tape adds diameter, but effectively very little mass.

There are two tech articles on bassstringsonline.com. One talks about how to measure for strings. Once you measure the ball at the anchor through to the top of the nut, then you can consult the other article on manufacturer's winding lengths to see which scale length of strings to buy. Because this bass has the integrated bridge and tailpiece, with less space between the bridge saddle and the anchor, and more space at the headstock, this bass probably takes standard short scale strings. But when you get it, it never hurts to measure and consult the articles to be sure.

If you do decide to go up to the "standard" gauge, then in addition to the La Bellas, which sound essentially the same in the heaver gauges, with more even tension and even sustain, and feel more like a 45-100 set of conventional rounds, you have Rotosound which are thumpy, made to emulate upright gut strings. I don't think Fender or GHS tapes come in short scale.

I gig the regular length and gauge of the Fenders on my custom half-fanned P/J, La Bella Blacks on my SRA305, the D'Addarios on my Rick 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3") and the Rotos on an acoustic bass. I may change them out for the La Bella Coppers, depending on the gigs I have coming up that need a little more definition and a little less thump.

3. Erstokke

Erstokke

Apr 25, 2015
    Thank you, that was exactly the detailed answer I needed!