1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapewounds on a Skyline Hollowbody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iualum, Sep 21, 2008.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Just curious if anyone has tried tapewounds on a Skyline Hollowbody? If not, what would you imagine them to sound like? I'd think pretty good, but would like other opinions.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Good Thump!!!!

G

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...anyone else?...

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got tapewounds on a D'Armond Starfire hollowbody and the tone is thumpy and very upright bassish. I would expect similar tone on the Lakeland HB.

5. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    I've had the Labella tapes and the Rotosound TruBass 88s on my Lakland HB fretless after a couple years of TI flats. (were you thinking fretted or fretless?)

They don't sound like anything else, that's for sure and even if you favor the neck pickup it doesn't sound like Jaco. Punchy and tighter, but not the burpy sound of a J.

Of the two I prefer the Rotosounds. The Labella's seem to be more popular generally and I can understand why. They have a bit more top end and a cleaner sound (can't think of a better word). The Roto's have a more woody thump, they are not as lively. They seem to be a bit higher tension, but that's just a perception I don't have any specs on it.

I'd be happy with either and don't have any desire to go back to flats.