Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapewounds on fretted?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Will putting the strings in a fretted bass harm them in any way...if they don't, which ones have you tried and with what results?

2. I never had tapewounds on my own fretted bass, but I played a used Hondo at this vintage place around here that had some blue nylon tapewounds on it, it sounded nice, different though, very mellow. The blue strings looked really weird on the red bass though.

3. will there be any harm???

4. No.

5. if anyone here is interested in some 5 string GHS tapewounds i have brand new ones that ill ship for 20$ just PM me

6. I use tapes on my P, and used to do so on my J until I went back to steel rounds. Love 'em. Plenty warm, no finger noise.

7. I have never used tapes on my fretteds, but they are harmless to a fretless, so it should not be a problem on a fretted.

8. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Bristol, TN
    I use tape wound strings on my Status Streamline. There has never been any harm to the bass or strings.

9. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Used them for about three years on a Jazz bass. One set. No problems. I used the Rotosound black nylon tape strings.

10. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    You gotta love the sound. It is a bit one-dimensional.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Listen to Joe Jackson's "Look Sharp!" album for a great example of how aggressive tapewound strings can sound on a fretted bass. Maby's tone on that album is KILLER.