Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapewounds vs rounds on the same bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jun 27, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    when i had my tech dude/guitar store guy assemble my hardware on my fretless warmoth, i had him slap on fender tapewounds and give it a set up (flawlessly executed i might add). I took it home, and after a few days i liked the tapewounds, but wasn't getting enough mwah for my taste. so i slapped on some ghs flatwounds (all they had at the store, i had a gift certificate, eventually i wanna get sit's). still only mneh. think i could through the G from the tapewounds on there? i htought that was ok; light, but ok. Otherwise the GHS sound ok, haven't played them through my big rig yet though.
    any thoughts?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    this belongs in strings, i htought i was there when i posted, my bad.

3. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Funny, I've been thinking of experimenting with something like that - like roundwound 3rd adn 4th string, flatwound 2nd and 1st. Or the bottom two flat and the top two round.

Give it a go and let us know how it went :)

4. Why not? Upright players mix and match all the time.

5. Try this:

E string = Round wound
    D string = Ground wound
    A string = flat wound
    G string = tape wound

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I used to read over my wife's shoulder when she visited Cello sites and I was thinking "What are you guys doing?" They got Pirastro Obligato as a C string and D'Addario Pro Arte on the next and...I just didn't get it. To balance out the tone my wife said and then it made perfect sense.

The prices on cello and upright bass strings though - whew. After a C broke and we had to get a single, I have never ever complained about a set of electric bass strings "costing so much."

Hehehe :)

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

like Roto Sounds? The pain in experimenting with bass strings is the $ needed.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    word, i'm gonna try throwing the tapewound back on the g, but otherwise i've never spent so much on strings as i have htis month. that's what i get for letting my roundwounds on my fretted die.

i dated a cellist once...it was an experience