1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapewounds - Which Bass Do I Put Them On?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Atoz, Mar 27, 2009.

1. The P

42.9%
  2. The J

23.8%
  3. One of the Rics

14.3%
  4. You don't put tapes on a fretted bass, loser!

19.0%
  1. I was recently given a set of GHS Tapewounds, and I'd like to check them out. I was wondering which of my basses the TB community thinks I should put them on.

The basses:

'88 MIJ P - currently kitted with Chromes.
    '06 MIM J Active Deluxe - currently with Stainless Lo-Riders.
    '79 Ric 4001 - currently with TI Jazz Flats.
    '06 Ric 4003 - currently with Chromes.

If it matters, I'm more of a melodic type fingerstyle player who throws walks in here and there and who uses slides quite a lot. I almost never slap or use a pick.

Suggestions?

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Either the P, or the 06 Ric,

Only mentioning the Ric, as you have two with flats, and only saying the 06, because I prefer TI's to Chromes.

3. My first thought was the P, but I seem to recall Macca getting a decent sound out of a J with tapes back in the day.

4. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ah, didn't know that, heh, I've often heard of them on a P though.
    And you'll not loose anything to try 'em on a Ric, tough choice!

I only have some on a fretless.:ninja:

5. ^^^
    The Ric is an intriguing option.

6. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Anyone mind describing the sound of tapewounds? 35 years, and I've only heard them once, at an open stage. Guy had no technique.

7. 1buba

1buba

Mar 19, 2006
    Placerville, CA
    I've got la bella tape wounds on a Carvin 5 string fretless (semi-hollow)... They have a real Waaaa sound when you slide up the neck. It reminds me a LITTLE of a trumpet w/ a mute or what ever they call them taking it off during the note.

8. I can tell you from my personal experience that tapes on a P Bass sound delicious. I did eventually replace them with TI flats, but my cousin put them on his P Bass and they sound great on his as well. They were of the Fender variety. I have used LaBella tapes on my fretless acoustic bass and they give it a sound that sits between a fretless and an upright. I have not had the chance to try the new GHS ones, but do remember to do a review of them.

9. OK... based on the results, I put the tapes on the P this afternoon. So far, I really like them. Let's see how I feel after I've played them for a little while.

10. if means anything to you: the recording of "my generation" was done on a J-bass with labella tapewounds (and its the setup i've got currently :smug: )

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Can't go wrong with that choice! P's are always good!

12. Interesting.

How would you describe the tapes on the J vs. rounds or flats? There's certainly nothing preventing me from going out and buying another set to put on the J if I feel so inclined...

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Or, considering P-J compatability, swapping their strings for a few days and see what happens, I do it often.

14. Yeah... I thought about that, but I'm lazy... :p

15. Listen to some of the Elton John stuff that Herbie Flowers plays on... or some of the Al Kooper stuff... He's used Tapes exclusively on his 59 prototype jazz since day one (some time in 1959)...

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    So am I, too much so to go to the shops!:D

17. i agree with frankie5string, check out herbie flowers...
    i thought dee murrey cut those tracks for elton john-post 1970???

18. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
  19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Definitely one of the Rics. Listen to Abbey Road if you need any more convincing.