Tapping an open string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Trist6075, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I am just learning two hand tapping from this Victor Wooten lesson in the May '98 Bass Player. The excercise calls for the left hand to use finger 1(index?) on the open string. How does your left finger tap and open note? Can someone exlain?

On a side note, does it take a while to right hand tap between two frets(ex. 17/15 on G and D string)? Do you just have to press hard and practice it? And a final thing, do your right and left hands have to play on the same strings together when you two hand tap. I have been playing them on different strings (ex. Left-E+A string and right-D+G)? If somebody could answer this It would really help me. Please don't post links because I can't follow them.

Thanks, Tristan
  2. Chip

May 2, 2000
    i would say you tap an open note by tapping (for example) the 7th fret then pulling off to an open note, i dont see any other way you can do it.

as for tapping 2 notes at once, yes you do need alot of practice, as strong as your fingers may be from finger picking, your going to have to build them up again!, it also a good idea to strengthen your ring and pinky finger if you really wanna be a master tapper :)

finally tap whatever sounds good!, most people use appegios there are a few other patterns for tapping, i'm sure the book will show you some
  3. Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm not sure how he would say to tap an open string. If/when I need to do something like that, I usually tap my right hand (Plucking hand) finger on the string. Just kinda hit it and bounce off, I usually do it near the bridge.
  4. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I usually just tap the 12th fret. That usually gives the right effect.
  5. Down by the bridge works, as well as the octave note at the 12th fret. Another way I tap an open string is tap the 5th fret on the string above. I've had to do this on "Moonlight Sonata".