Tapping and velcro...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Daniel Baskin, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I am curious if any of you have fitted/stuck velcro (either the hook or fuzzy part) on the back side of the first fret as an alternative to the hair scrunchie. I am talking about the same method that is used on chapman sticks (if you have seen one or play one). I am talking about the [​IMG] located right in front of the nut and on the back right side of the second fret in this picture. Has anyone tried this? And if anyone hasn't, do any of you fellow tappers think this is a plausible undertaking for me?

Also, if the answers are yes, which do you think would do the job without taking away from the normal functioning of the bass?

Attached Files:

2. you certainly could try it, i never have though, so i can't tell you my thoughts!
    as for the stick, it looks more like that velcro is for the strap, but i've never seen a chapman stick in real life, so i am most likely wrong!
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    No. The strap attaches via a little 'twisty button thing'(tm) on the accompaniment side of the nut. The velcro is there to deaden ringing notes.

And the soft side of velcro is called 'pile.'
  4. The stick that I play uses the velcro part as a muter. Most sticks, however, use what you call pile. Which do you think would be a safer bet for not interfering with the normal sound of the bass?