Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping Books

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Worshiper, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Anyone out there know of any good tapping books? I want to learn it but seams that I cannot find anyone to teach ot to me. I figure I'll take matters into my own hands and teach myself. Thanks

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    bump...anyone?

3. Get some starter classical piano music - simple Bach or Mozart - and work out the parts yourself for each hand - it's challenging but by teaching yourself you'll get a much better grasp on the technique - and you won't waste your time on naff exercises which have little musical value. A long time ago I tried doing exactly this and I managed to get a couple of Mozart piano pieces down using the treble cleff for my right hand and the bass clef for the left - it works really well - and yes, it's hard work...that's my suggestion.

M

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If you want to learn the technique from the beginning and get some inspiration, I highly recommend the first Stuart Hamm instructional video "Slap, Pop & Tap For The Bass" from Hot Licks. You can check it here:

https://www.musicdispatch.com/item_...rder=11&refer=browse&start=H&end=I&catcode=07

Most of the times, instructional videos are seen as material from you can only get some useful tips, but IMO, that's not the case with this video, specially because Stu is very nice, willing to teach you, and he explains his stuff very, very well. In fact, this was a real inspiration for me when I first saw it like 14 years ago and still consider it my biggest "bass bible".

Hot Licks also has a bass video dealing with two handed tapping exclusively, taught by Kjell Benner, but never saw it. Only a sample from HL video catalog, and seems to be cool.

Hope this helps.

5. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    I own the Kjell Benner video, I bought it many years ago. I've found that it is a good intro to doing 2-handed stuff, particularly because he does musical tapping, rather than "NAMM licks" tapping.

This video has good basic theory stuff in it, and even has a piece he wrote in the "fugue" style. As it's a fugue, you get to see how two independent voices on bass (or musically) sound/work together.

Good stuff!