1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tapping DI out of amp head for 2 purposes..

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Apr 24, 2017.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I want to be able to use the DI out of my Subway head to go to the FOH board AND feed my IEM system using a Rolls PM351...

In theory, since the Rolls has a built in DI, I should be able to take the DI out of the Subway using an XLR to 1/4 cable to the instrument in on the Rolls, then take the xlr direct out of the Rolls to feed FOH... That should work, right?? If not, other suggestions? A splitter?

my other option is to use a Radial ProDI to tap the signal before the amp to FOH, then use DI out of head to feed IEMs. In this equation, I get no Subway goodness in my FOH signal though.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Use a "Y" cable out of the Subway.. one side XLR (to FOH) and one 1/4" to the Rolls..

upload_2017-4-24_11-36-14.

If you can't find one, get XLR to XLR and put an XLR->1/4" transformer on the side going to the rolls.

upload_2017-4-24_11-35-29. PLUS upload_2017-4-24_11-34-56.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you could just use the 1/4" effects send (which should have a good amount of the preamp character) to go to the rolls and leave the XLR out for the main PA.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Some effects sends cut the feed to the master section when engaged. I don't know if the Subway does or not.. but it wouldn't hurt to try.
    You'd know pretty quick !! :thumbsup: