Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping excercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Justin V, May 7, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just started working on my tapping. I'm having trouble getting any audible sound out it. Are there any excercises that I should do etc. Any and all help is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Try holding a root note with your left hand and then playing an entire major or minor scale an octave or two above using only tapping. If that's too hard right now just start out tapping chords. You can use your left hand for the first note and then tap the subsequent fifth and octave and if possible, maj or min 3 above it. It just takes a little practice to get your hands strong enough, you'll get it though.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this might be a little advanced....but its an awesome technique that has helped my tapping imensely
    this is Victor wooten's basic tapping line which he learned to tap with
    its pretty cool to help learn to incorporate both hands
    play 1-5-9-10
    playing with your index and ring fingers on your left and right hands like
    1(index-left)
    5(index-right)
    9(ring-right)
    10(ring-left)
    then what victor suggests is that you pick a key...say G major
    then starting on G in the octave position do 1-5-9-10-9-5-1
    then go down the neck in the key of G

also once yo uget that down try hitting other intervals like 13,8,12, or 11 or whatever you feel you can add
    tapping is much easier(and in my opinion sounds better)high up on the neck

4. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I hate to bring this back a few steps but... what IS tapping? How do you do it?

- TJC

5. Requiem

Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    I have come up with some excercises, here is one:

do a seventh chord (G) and add 2 more notes, wich later on you can use as you like.

do:

(left hand middle finger) in A string 10 fret.
    (left hand index finger) in D string 9 fret.
    (left hand pinky) in G string 11 fret.
    and now...
    (right hand index) in D str. 12 fret
    (right hand middle) in G strt. 12 fret

Alter the chord...the "extra notes" on the right hand and the order of the tapping fingers as many times as you can... soon you will be able to play many melodies and songs with a similar piano effect.

Hope I could help you...

Paz

req

6. Requiem

Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    Oh another thing....just try playing anything you know in that way... the cool thing, to me, about tappin is that you can almost invent anything you want and it sounds great...sometimes you can make the people think you're using an effect or that there are more than one bass....

be creative... learn from yourself..

req

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Not to get off subject and high jack this thread, but I was wondering, what's a good action setting for my bass for easy tapping?

Oh, by the way Serge, it might be a bit cliche, but a good place to start when tapping is to do arrpegios, phrased in triplet.

For example tap 14 (A) on the G string with your right hand, then hammer 7 (D) and then 10 (F) to play a D min chord. It's also great for inversions.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    People better be freakin' Billy Sheehan after a week for the prices he wants for those videos. :eek:

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They might be expensive, but where else are you going to learn TIME STEPS (single, double, triple, wing, traveling, rhythm), CRAMP ROLLS, BACK ROLLS, SIDE ROLLS, PULLBACKS, DRAWBACKS, MAXI'S, WINGS, TRENCHES, RIFFS, RIFFLES, and combinations.