Tapping help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I was just wondering if anyone can give me some exercises or tips for advancing my tapping? I already know the technique...i guess i just was wondering if anyone can suggest some cool tricks etc.
  2. Something I like to do, just to make sure I keep my tapping as good as I can: Practice songs you already know, but tap them instead of playing them normally. For example, I like to tap Jaco's version of Donna Lee, MUCH slower then normal of course, but over time I hope to play it full speed.
    But yeah, just try playing songs you already know (preferably difficult songs). Tap them slowly, carefully, and over time it will really help your technique.
  3. Try learning some of Wooten's tapped songs if you haven't already. After learning songs like Overjoyed and More Love, I feel much more comfortable with my tapping.
  4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Make sure you try out different positions when you tap. There is a general common technique, but something a little different may work better for you. For instance, my tapping with my left hand is much stronger when i move my left thumb down a little bit and anchor it there, rather than directly in the middle of the back of the neck. My left thumb's position changes a little bit depending on which string i'm playing... if i'm tapping on the d string, my left thumb is anchored right behind the d string.

But perhaps you do this already. :smug: