1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tapping help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jamesbrookes, Dec 12, 2006.

1. jamesbrookes

jamesbrookes

Aug 29, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm new to tapping and someone said to try and learn Stu Hamm's "Linus and Lucy" as a first song. I try to play it but i can't play two different things at once. For example,

G
    D 5
    A 5
    E 3

And

G 121416
    D
    A
    E

Does anyone have any tips if they understood this?

2. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Ok buddy, take it REALLY, REALLY SLOWWW.

Serioulsy, do each note really slow for a while untill you can do that proficiently at a very slow speed. Like play the 3 on E and the 12 on G and let it ring, then go to the 5 on A and the 14 on G, let it ring, then the 5 on D and the 16 on G, let this ring, and just keep doing that.

Speed it up a teensy bit and keep going over it. Then a little faster. Then take a break (phew!)!

Then keep going faster and faster. Of course, you won't have it under your fingers in one day (I mean, unless you stayed up for 24 hrs straight playing that same thing over, and over and over :smug:), but you should have it in not too long.

Remember, always slow it down if your not getting it.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wait-a-sec: NEW to tapping, and Linus and Lucy be your first song?!

They're joking with you.

Sheesh, Dude - I've been working on tapping for.. I dunno - like a year or something, and I've just barely began to play-around with that one a little -- then I give-it-up for another time.

About the farthest I've gotten is this "Lounge Metal":
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1546520867
    Yeah: I gotta work on the vocal for that one next. ...and notice that I hardly (maybe never, in this one..) EVER hit two notes at once!

Linus and... first song... YEAH, RIGHT!

Joe

4. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Its not that bad, if you go slow, like I said.

5. bajomiley

bajomiley

Oct 15, 2004
    Lima, Peru
    hi,
    I didnt play that song, but I could give you an exercice I did at the beginning. it is like an alternating the tapping using one finger every time (following the beat).
    tap this using methronome:
    E12(L1) E14(R1)
    A12(L2) A14(R2)
    D12(L3) D14(R3)
    G12(L4) G14(R4)
    and then, do the same but going down a half step every time until the first fret.
    I hope you understand this.
    best regards

6. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    The hardest part about that tone for me was the part right after that when your not hitting the notes together. Then it comes back in.

7. slapslappopslap

slapslappopslap

Nov 22, 2006
    NZ
    linus and lucy was my first song i tapped. well actually quahogs anyone. mind you i had 10 years of piano before i played bass tho.

8. Learn the left-hand part then the right hand part, then put them together. They'll form a kind of composite rhythm -- in some parts notes will fall together, and in others they will fall between. Once you know where these spots are, you're equipped to try everything together at a slow speed, then speed it up once you've got the idea.

9. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Where did you find the TAB for this song?

10. I let Vic Wooten teach me ;) He has a great tapping exercise in one of his many instructional vids, if you can trawl through them you may stumble upon :)

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    That helps if you know it on piano first. I play Linus & Lucy in C, starting on the E string.

As mentioned before, start S-L-O-W, then speed it up. Works for almost anything you want to play.

12. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas