1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tapping Help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrbass02, Apr 19, 2009.

1. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    So im starting to learn More Love by Victor wooten, which involves a lot of tapping. My problem is I just can't tap hard enough to make it be heard very well. Is it that my fingers aren't strong enough or what? If so, can i strengthen them? Ive already tried lowereing the strings and that helps, but not enough. Someone Help! :bawl:

2. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    A compressor usually is great help. And lowering the strings actually makes the tapping quieter because the strings hit the frets with less strength.

3. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    IME , the axes set up for tapping only, have not only low action & pickups
    set close to the strings, but also the string hieght at the nut is very low as well. some hand strength will also be required. turn up your amp!

4. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    lol, i only hav a 8 watt amp. :(
    Me poor

5. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    ill look into buying a compressor. Any suggestions?

6. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    I usually use some sort of digital help when tapping i.e. a boost of some kind.
    But general finger strength si required. I think my guitarist put it best.

When I first sat down to write MY Potrait Of Tracy, I incorpated a lot of tapping. I asked my guitarist what his method to tapping was and he said to me

"By telling me yo want to tap, youre telling me yoiu want to beat the **** out of your bass."

So do it hard and with confidence, but never too hard to throw of the technique. Make sense?

7. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    no.............

8. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009

lol. When you tap, make sure the notes come out loud and clear, but dont destroy your tone.

9. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    oh ok

10. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I use the Boss cs-3 without modifications. It works for me, but most people don't like it for the bass, they say it sucks low frequencies. Try reading bongomania's guides: http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml