1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[Tapping] How do I approach fingering when I'm transcribing a song?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SweetKetchup, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SweetKetchup

SweetKetchup

Nov 29, 2015
    Romania
    I'm trying to transcribe the song Space-Dye Vest by Dream Theater on bass, and while I'm having no difficulty with the sonic aspect of the song, I really find myself struggling with getting a comfortable and efficient fingering, especially since the song requires two-hands tapping. I nail this song on piano, so I know things like the intervallic construction and the melody of the song. I just can't do the technical part of playing it on the bass.

There is already a bass solo of this song on YouTube, but I suck at visualizing how other people move their hands on the bass. Also, the guy who did the cover is constantly switching from tapping to fingerpicking, which gets me lost... So is there a specific way of fingering in two-hands tapping?

: here's the cover for reference.

2. Like learning any technical song, just take it measure by measure and figure out for your personal style, how to make the notes sing the way you want. Then put it all together. After you have learned that particular song, you can use your new found technique for any song. It's just about spending time in the seat.

Having said that, it would probably be helpful for you to get a book, DVD or something that specifically addresses how to tap. It's a specialized technique, so you need to learn the fundamental stuff first, like how to get the right sound, how to finger arpeggios, scales, etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yes, thyere is a specific way of fingering for two-handed tapping. Check out some material from Stu Hamm or, ideally, take a lesson or two from a tapper. There are little tricks and techniques that help, such as slamming/slapping down your plucking pinky in order to tap it with.

Also note that you need to setup your bass for tapping, you need an extremely low action. Using a compressor will help as well.