Tapping new neck bolt threads in Wenge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mon Rominee, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Hi all. I'm getting ready to install a Warmoth replacement neck on a project I'm scratch building a body for. The neck shaft is Wenge. I'm here to ask if there are any special considerations for prepping the wood for new threads? I have the screw-shaft diameter holes drilled. On maple, I'd usually put a bit of soap or wax on the threads to cut down heat, should the same be applied here in wenge? Realizing this is a coarser, denser wood, I just don't want any surprises.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Lubricating is always good.
    But, considering the hardness of wenge, I'd make the holes slightly wider than the screw shafts. Otherwise, there may be a risk of getting stuck and actually wringing off the screw. Which leaves you with a major mess. :meh:
  3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Word. This has happened to me with bubinga.
  4. So, are we talking a 1/64" over diameter to be sufficient? Or a 1/32"?? We're not talking much thread-wall here, in re: to standard neck bolts... Don't want then threads to rip...
  5. IMO any oversizing could be practically the amount gained from simply wallowing the bit in the hole. I would think that 1/32" is a little to large. I bet that, once the threads catch in this stuff, there won't be any tearing or ripping from stress.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Three words: Scrap Wood First. Or, Use An Insert. :)
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hm, seems like good ideas... :D
    Actually, exceptionally good.

For not-so-hard woods, I normally make the holes less than .5mm wider than the screw shaft. Like Hams "wiggle" method. With quite-hard woods, 1/64" to .5mm would be my try. On scrap, to verify theory before going live!

Better safe than sorry, chicken! :D