Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping on a Fretless.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I was wondering if you guys had any trouble with that. Some people tap on Fretless basses and sound awesome, but mine just dosent work out.

So I was just kind of asking if anyone here Successfully taps on fretless basses. Because I am having a really hard time with it, well harder than I imagined at least.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't know man. It sounds really good though. I am going to start working on my tapping a lot starting today. Cool stuff.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't do it very well. I have the left hand intonation thing down, but the right and left hand at the same time is tricky. Too tricky for me. I don't have the hours to invest in something that is honestly pretty gimmicky. Yeah, I do tap some on fretted, but it is still a gimmick. Useful in a few situations(like two original songs that my band does) but not much more than that. Loads of fun in the bedroom, though.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from embellisher:Loads of fun in the bedroom, though.

This is true for me also, I have been doing that
    for years, messing around with the tapping on
    fretted & fretless, just to mess around. I never use any of it live. keeps you sharp between gig's.
    great exersise for your hands & fingers.:bassist:

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Do you have the book: The best of victor Wooten,
    play it like it is Bass ?

6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    No, The only song I can play from Victor Wooten is his version of "A Chick from Corea" accompanied by Victor Bailey, From Chick Corea...(duh)

I can kind of play "You Cant Hold No Groove" just a bit of it, I've only played for like 8 1/2 months So I need to sharpend my tech and stuff.

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I was just wondering, cause I just picked up that
    book today at lunch time.:)