tapping on fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I've been wondering how does tapping on a fretless feels and sounds.. I've seen M. Manring doing it on a video but I would like to read some personal descriptions and opinions... How is it compared to tapping on a fretted fingerboard?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very different. Tapping is the one technique that I do on fretted that I do not do well on fretless. It sounds different, it feels different, and it is very difficult to concentrate on keeping two hands properly intonated.

I'm sure if I had the time to invest, I could make it work. As it is, I just grab one of my fretted sixes for tapping.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I opted for a lined fretless primarily to help with the tapping I wanted to do. Intoning with my left hand is pretty good. However, it's still hard to do certain things with the right at the same time.

Practice practice practice.
  4. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I agree with the above posts - tapping on a fretless is much harder than it is on a fretted. It is hard to intonate exactly and you also have to hit a bit harder - you can't rely on the fret covering for you if you're a bit behind on the tap, plus you may miss it volume wise as well. When tapping 4ths (or 5-8) it is hard to align properly on a fretless, while on a fretted you can easily let the fret cover for the slight natural difference. But then again, this is true for regular fingered notes too.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    tapping on fretless is difficult but can be alleviated with a good setup. it takes a lot more hand strength to get the strings down to the board and get a good amount of volume out of them....intonation, well, intonation is always an issue with fretless. my experience with tapping on fretless is pretty hairy and hasn't left my practice space yet. :D