1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapping Problem-please help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by distrot, Jun 26, 2007.

1. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    Hey,
    I'm have a problem. I can't seem to get my tapping lines to come out and cut through the mix, I relies that bad technique could be all to blame but beyond that I was wondering...

Is there any effects that could help bring out or even out my tapping?

My thought was to throw on a compressor and a BBE 362 and possibly a little distortion (any recommendations on any of these items would also be great, preferably rack mount)

Thanks for the help

2. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I'd assume it's your technique, and quite possibly the setup of your bass. I have a friend that taps, he brought the action REALLY low so he wouldn't get any buzzing. I'd assume the compressor would help even out the problem if it's your technique.

3. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Don't look for a solution in gear. The thing is.. you really have to tap hard on bass + low action may help

4. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i do need to lower my action, the thing is i play in a very loud grindcore band and we detune to CGCF, Plus im aiming for more shred tapping like sheehan as opposed to Hamm. Of course i need to hit the woodshed but i thought there may be something out there to help cut through.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes - a compressor will very-much help. Don't listen to the responses that say "don't use processing to cover for bad technique" or whatever -- we should all do all we can to sound as good as we can for our gigs. How far can you take that philosophy? - then amplifiers would be 'cheating' too, right?

I use a CS-3 set 12:00, 11:00, 5:00, 1:00 for tapping - it makes a huge difference!

Also, by all-means, CHEAT with a scrunchy-mute too!

Tapping is so cool. I'm finally starting to blossom with it a little bit now, but I think I would have given-up in frustration if I wouldn't have started-out with mute and compressor!

Joe

6. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    thanks dude for the tips, but the hair tie thing is new to me do i just place it past the nut on the headstock side?

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yep, and bring it over the first frets when you tap, so that it mutes the other strings and harmonics. Seemed funny to me at first, but it's worked wonders for my tapping parts.

8. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    and you have no trouble switching back and forth? seems like a hassle but if it works as well as you say i will try it out for sure

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    It takes less than half a second after a while, you just push it back, and if you don't play any open strings in the meanwhile you can leave it there while you play normally. I usually leave it there, play and when I play something on the first fret for example I push it over the nut while placing my hand over the first fret.

10. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    cool thanks a lot

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A hassle, huh?

Once you try it, you'll see that it's 'no trouble at all' - a no-brainer, actaully.

I've found the best muting to always be with one over the second fret, and one over the third. the thing is: the mute has to be right - the right size and texture and all. One thing that's NOT so-quick, but works very well, is to slip a doubled-over piece of velvet under the strings (maybe an inch wide when folded) - again: between second and third fret seems to work best. You should try this, at least so that you know when you've found a 'scrunchy'-type that works right!

My mutes are like 'terricloth doughnuts', made to tie hair back. I had to shop-around for quite a while to find the right fit. Turns-out the perfect ones were found at Kohl's department store - these are mostly in wisconsin, I think.

I play a B-tuned 5-string; I usually play fifth fret or above - tapping and conventional playing (rarely using opens) - so the mutes are usually left in-place, or slid-back right to the nut. Opens play just-fine with both mutes back by the nut (reduced sustain, but it doesn't matter as-long as the compressor's above threshold!)

Joe

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  13. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i was worried that it was gonna take to long for me to slide it back and forth cause of the tempo of the tunes i play but i tried it out and it really seemed to help, im going to keep looking around for a better hair tie though, i think it could sound even better

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021