1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tapping Question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by natedawg5280, Jun 11, 2007.

1. When I tap I get mostly clicks and little true notes. I'm hoping it's not cause my action is too low, cause I love my low action.

Is there a certain like treb/bass/mid setting that brings out the most of your tapping? I'm mainly talking about right hand, cause the left-hand sounds fine.

I'm playing on a Schecter Stilleto C-5, in case you ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    As with most stuff, start slow.
    Build up speed.

If the action is somewhat low, try hitting the strings a bit harder and getting a good sound for each note... first by going slow.

It takes some time to get it.
    I use a treble and mid range tone to bring it out more.

That can increase clicks and noise.
    So you can reduce the treble some to suit.

You can try using a hair tie for pony tails on the lower 1-2st frets close to the nut and you can slip it past the nut as needed to muffle things/reduce unwanted noise also. Victor Wooten does this sometimes as do 6 string players.

You also should practice at the volume you want to play (if possible).

I think with some time, your fingers will build up and you just need more practice time and focus on getting even notes between the right/left hands.

The Right hand will be weaker than the left when you start.
    Just like the left, try scales, chords, try adjusting the wrist at various angles playing a 5th(middle + pinky and then index and ring finger) on 2 different strings.

Build up strength starting with just one finger at a time, then add two, 3, and finally 4 and the thumb etc.

When you use one finger, it'll get tired. So you have 3 more, use them till each is tire.

Then when you start using 2-3 etc, they will be pretty tough.

Hope this helps

Tom

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021