Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping technique:

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Okay i know that you just do hammer-ons if you do a line going higher with your right hand but if i wanna go lower like this ofr example:

-14-12----------------------------------------------------
    --------15-14-12------------------------------------------
    --------------------15-13-12------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Am i supposed to hammer on the first note of each string and then do pull offs?

2. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Yes, or if you think that sounds inconsistent then tap each note. One way to stay consistent which is easier IMHO, is to hammer on light and pull off with alot of force to even out fret noise and loudness. Remember to do this exercise with both hands mirroring eachother. (play RH octave higher than LH)

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1 ive been doing alot of pull offs with chordal tapping and such and it sounds great.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    One technique I use is to fret a chord over three strings:

-12-------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Then hammer-on and pull-off any number of scale positions above the fretted chord.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    But then you cant play 2lines at the same time..

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Another way I would emplement the technique you have illustrated, is to anchor the 1st finger at the 12th fret and hammer-on and pull-off with the right-hand fingers as shown below:

Code:
     R1    L1
    -14----12------------------------- G string

then

R2     R1    L1
    --10-----9-----7------------------ G string

then

R3    R1    L1
    --5-----3-----2-------------------- G string

The left/righthand fingers have to hit the string at exactly the same time, in order to pull-off the first note to sound the second note, then to sound the third, so on... You can move up and down the same string instead of moving across the strings. This technique could be more accurate and faster.

L1 = Lefthand 1st finger
    R1 = Righthand 1st finger
    R2 = Righthand 2nd finger
    R3 = Righthand 3rd finger

All the best!

7. after you tap the first note, probably with your pinkie, put your other fingers on the notes you want to play on that same string. rather than just pulling off your pinkie, pull it towards your E string so its like plucking the string. then youll get much better tone than just tapping the notes, and its easier to coordinate with your left hand doing something else below on a different string. It gives it a much smoother sound if you can learn to do it well. i hope that made sense, its really hard to explain without showing you. i wish i had a video or something for you. good luck