Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapping tips

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Seraphim, Sep 1, 2004.

1. just wondering if anyone has any tips for tapping? im trying to tap dmv by primus, and they just dont sound clean, what are soemthing things i could do to fix this?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The lower your action, the easier the act of tapping is. Also, lighter gauge strings are easier to fret and will help with the right hand part of the line. It will come with practice, I used to think that line was impossible, but I got it with practice.

Keep at it.

P.S. Might want to try the scrunchy trick to eliminate unwanted ringing.

3. what i tend to do, is on your left hand use my 1st finger as little as possible and use it to mute the strings, or whatever finger is closest to the nut, but usally the best way to get better is practise, corny i know, but practise slow and built up the strength in each finger, also i reccomend stu hamms first hot licks video

4. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Anchor your thumbs on the neck for extra power. And don't exclusively use your index and middle fingers. Try and find some exercises on the web for tapping. I know there are some.
    oh yeah, hit the string with your fingers perpendicular with the fret board.

5. DONT rest your thumb on the side of the neck, that takes away an extra finger, learn to use the thumb, it helps and can spread the work over all 5 fingers on your right hand

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I've never heard of using the tumb to tap. It seems like it would be awkward and clumsy. I guess if you can do it well then go for it.

7. when tapping with your thumb use the pad part on the side of your thumb, same as if you are slapping, it really helps to use your thumb, takes a bit more work off your other fingers and helps you to spread your hand out more....sure it might take a little more work to do but it does pay off

8. oh, im only talking about the thumb on your right hand, still keep the laft hand thumb anchored, sorry if that was a little confooosing