Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping w/o harmonics?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How does stu hamm, tap on frets so high on the fret board without sounding harmonics. Alot of times when I try this I get the note and the harmonic and it clashes really bad!
    I know if you touch the string with your other hand closer to the head it wont due this, but usually both of my hands are busy.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're referring to getting two sort of chime-like tones that are dissonant when you tap, try adjusting your neck/truss rod (and the saddles if the truss rod adjustment makes it necessary).

With the change in weather, i.e., spring, my neck through bodies are were doing this until I tweaked the setup.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What adjustment is needed? Lower strings? Higher strings? Put relief in neck? Take relief out?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What was foxing me was that when the tapped notes resonated just fine, the strings were setting right on top of the board on the first 4 frets, (i.e., couldn't vibrate freely). It had to be some kind of weird backbow because the upper register frets were fine (and the saddles weren't set high at all).

A little further adjustment, clockwise and counterclockwise, made it come out okay. I played it all night at tonight's gig, (10pm - 3am), and it didn't even need any minor adjustment, although I feared it would.