Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapping (workin on dmv by primus)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Aenema, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    when i try this song i seem to get a slight frett buzz. the a string has the most noticable buzz. i have been playin for 6 years so my finger strength is pretty decent. i have to press really frackin hard to get a good clean sound. i play a peavey cirrus. is the buzz due lack of finger strength or my bass setup?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's impossible for us to tell over the internet!

However, with tapping, you have to very cleanly hit behind the fret to produce a clean tone, regardless of action. If you tap the fret, you'll get fretnoise. Accuracy plays a big part in tapping.

As long as you like how your bass is set up, you'll adapt to it with practice.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    yeah i noticed accuracy is very important in tapping. i guess ill just keep practicing. the strings do seem quite a bit harder to push down than my last bass though.

4. KONG

KONG Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    NY
    Ever notice that they never play that song live?

Les admitted in an interview than he was barely able to pull it off in the studio. I think that was a good enough reason for me to not bother learning it. :)

5. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    THATS THE EASIEST SONG IN THE WORLD.
    I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU OTHER BASSIST ARE DOING OUT THERE BUT IT MUST BE WRONG CAUSE THATS LIKE EATING APPLE PIE, WELL AT LEAST TO ME. AND I THINK LES CAN PLAY IT ANYTIME, ANYWHERE CAUSE IF HE CANT THEN I MUST BE BETTER THAN HIM BECAUSE I CAN PLAY IT ON COMMAND.
    JUST THOUGHT YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT.

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    First, stop yelling.
    Second, is it easier than a Blink 182 song?

and...

Third, prove it.

7. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US

Uh, ok. :rolleyes:

8. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    tucker is obviously a lying 12 year old who likes to yell a lot. thats mr.claypools easy stuff anyway. but its my FIRST tapping attempt so go back to mommy before you get hurt junior. :rolleyes:

9. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    you gotta be kiddin me...... tuckers even in a death metal and emo band ROFL. please tell me you dont play with a pick... for the love of god....

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah I saw that too! Thats grand! :D

Dont even listen to him, DMV isnt an easy song, like KONG said, and like what I think. (I have it sorta down, not good though.)

11. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    yeah i know kong. the tab i got doesnt have the slapping he does with the tapping. i couldnt imagine trying the slaps with the tapping. thats just fackin insane!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Personally, it's not that bad of a song to play...there are lots of "worse" Primus songs.

However, it memorization of all the variations that are a butt. Of course, you could always improvise.

What get's really difficult is when you have to SING while playing DMV. I can't even imagine that! I bet it's the combination of singing and playing it that makes it difficult for Primus to play live rather than just playing it.

BTW, they played it on their tour for Pork Soda (right?). That's where the video came from. :)

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    yeah i remember the video. =) the fact that les sings and plays those very difficult bass lines makes him the most talented bass player in my view anyway. ;)

14. well it is an easy song if you play it wrong....

and i wondered why it was so easy... :D

15. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    well just to let all you guys know. not only am i in death metal/emo. but i also play in a jazz band too and if you dont belive me that i can play that song then i dont know. but whatever. and jsut to let you know that im 17 years and been playing for about 5 years and have dedicated the last 4 years to bass guitar and have many techniques and styles up my sleeve. My teacher told that to become a great bassist you have to be willing to play anything and learn anything no matter how long it takes and to let you know im a very fast learner. So i took what he said and put it into action. I have played in a punk band, hardcore band, emo band, jazz band, jam band, alternative.... and in my jazz/funk/jam band i play in now, we throw in so many styles and such hard rythym and time that i bet even if you attemted to try to play our stuff you couldnt. but there is really no poit in saying this cause you will all probably say im lying, but to be honest im not, and the reason why i can play all of primus' stuff, well at least some of it is becasue im like you other people and play it for the money or the girls but for the love of the music and because my teacher said to play as many styles as you can. And seldom do i use a pick, only when i want to and when i want to get a nice clear sound. and when i was in my hardcore band i never used a pick, i liked low end and provided the band and music with the low-end and the groove. I also used complex bass lines in that genre of music too, like in one of our lines i threw in some tap and some double thumb i use mostly my fingers about 99% of the time and the 1% is with a pick. I also play tap bass, slap bass, double thumb (victor wooten slap style too), and fingerstyle. But you all can say whatever cuase if i were to ever match up with any of you that has been playing as long as i have i bet you i can blow you away with my creativity, speed, endurance, technique. whatever..... and everything i play is correct cause like i have said before, in order to become a good bass player you cannot limit yourself to one thing, you have to be open.

you all can say whatever. i personally dont care but when you see me and my band up there making music and doing what we love doing. lets see who will be laughing now. you never know there could be some great bassist out there that no ones knows and they could rock out any other mainstream bassist in the world today. peace im out here.

16. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah primus is a great band, but some of you youngens that want to show off with your so called skill, listen to some john pattituci, marcus miller, stu hamm, anyone different then les. He's very creative and talented but there are alot better people than him IMHO. ANd dont say flea is god because to 12 year olds and under he is and to some of you older guys he is too, but hes not as great as everyone says. dont get me wrong though he is a great player and all but like i said before "there are alot better players out there"

17. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    even if you are that good you are cocky and full of yourself. wonderful band material... les doesnt always show what he can do anyways. hes way better than he lets on..... i highly doubt you can play dmv the correct way. like kong said... les admitted he barely pulled it off. and like melvin said... prove it. make a video or somethin and post it.

18. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    i can play it, and if i come as cocky to you than let it be that way, but sometimes its good to be cocky to prove your point or o get places bu in other times its not very ideal, but to be honest im not really cocky i was just so pissed off at some of you, and i didnt like the response that i recieved from you guys/girls( there are some girls in here you know) and you should respect other fellow bassist and not react the way you did when i wrote. I was just emphasizing that dMV wasnt that hard of a song, when i first heard it, i was like astonished, and then when i tried playing i had to stop cause it was too hard but i didnt let that get to me. so i kept playing. Im not saying i play it exactly the way it is perfectly all the time, we all make mistakes. but somehow i learned from those mistakes very fast and taught myself the right way to play it. yeah i learned it by ear, but the way i play it is easier to me at least. ill give a tab and dont criticize my work, you can but keep it to yourself

if this is wrong than someone shoot me but i think it sounds right, THIS IS ALL TAPPED

-----------------------------18-18-l
    ------10-----12-----------11-------l
    ---10-----------12----12----------l
    9----------9--------9--------------l
    R L L R L L R L L R R

-----------------------------18-18-------------l
    ------10----12-----------11---------12\-------l
    ---10-----------12----12------------11\-------l
    9--------9---------9---------------------------l
    R L L R L L R L L R R R

For all those that like tabs here you go: this is the way i play Dmv, if you think that this is wrong then oh well, this is how i play it and to me sounds almost correct. keep in mind that you have to be somewhat percusive and play these staccato for the way he plays is fast and rythymic.

im just trying to help some of you that think the song is impossible to play, you can play it just practice with the cd and practice it slow first and then speed up, the G-18 will be a little tricky cause you have to jump all the way down and then back up. just try it out and then post your thoughts on this. Good or bad i dont care.

and i absolutly hate blink 182, they all this attention but yet their music sounds good and everyone likes them, but i have to give it to them, look at me and look at them, they are the ones making it big with simple songs.

19. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Aenema
    since you think i cant play it the correct way, i am showing you that the way i play is almost correct, youcant play th same las or any other bassist plays their stuff,

BUT ONE QUESTION: ¿¿CAN YOU PLAY IT THE CORRECT WAY¿¿

20. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    umm there is slapping involved in this song... if you have ears you should know this. like freaky fender said... its easy if you play it wrong. does anyone else find this kid as annoying as i do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.