Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MyOwnSummer69, Jan 5, 2001.

1. MyOwnSummer69

Jan 5, 2001
    I'm wondering how to tap. I got slapping down, I obviously know how to pluck the strings with my fingers :) but I need to know how to tap! I think I have an idea of how to do it but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. Thanks :D

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's no right or wrong to tapping; do whatever sounds and feels good. In my opinion, you should keep your fingers close to the strings and attack them cleanly and quickly with arched rather than flat fingertips. Collapsed fingertips, however, can soften the attack and sound good in certain situations. Strength, speed and coordination will come only with practice.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Stu Hamm's first video has a pretty clear explanation of tapping. Beaver Felton had a book called Super Chops for Bass that featured his extraordinary tapping. I don't know if it is still available, however. If it is, it is worth buying because it has some cool exercizes to develop tapping chops. Also check Bass Player.com because they may have some advice on tapping there also from back issues. I know they have explained it in the past, but I don't remember what year or issue.

Jason Oldsted