Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nemesis, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    Hi,

I want to start to tap and really get into it.

My problem is that I have no idea how to learn independence between both hands just like on the piano.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I`m googling all over the web but I don`t find anything, which is in my sense.

Thank you very much for the answers :) .

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Go to www.bassically.net, it's the international institute of bassists, recently done up and much great lessons gone for some reason, but cliff engel has a great tapping one.

3. I, too, am intensely into tapping (right now I'm starting emulating sweep picking by tapping arpeggios on my 4 string, that's another story though.)

Study a lot of Stu Ham stuff, yes, it get's gimmicky and annoying at time sbut he's one of the best independant handed people I've seen.

I learned his Star Trek theme, fun stuff. So check out his stuff (Peanuts theme, Star Trek, etc.)

www.activebass.com might have something, also. I'm pretty much self taught though...just studying music and doing it is best. Practice too...lots and lots of it. Now, I'm still no good IMO, but people say otherwise.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I watched his lesson and still wonder, when you do the mirror cromatic scale, you cant do any pull-offs.. so it ends that i do legato going up the neck and staccato going down...

5. You need more practice then. You must learn to play seperate notes which aren't staccato (called portato). Keep your finger down as long as possible, then lift it and tap the next note below. Do the same thing on the way up. Make sure to lift and mute the string before playing the next note.

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, i'm working on it.

I can get the notes sound pretty high now but then i also here everytime i attack the strings but when i'm going up the neck i just hear the first notes attack.. or i can do the same thing when i go down the neck but then other notes is more quite...