Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by haujobb, Dec 9, 2005.

1. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Due to artists like Ryan Martinie and Jean Baudin, I'm starting to get into tapping, I've quickly learned that it's nothing like tapping on a guitar though.

I think I have the hang of it kind of, the only problem I have, is that my tapping lines sounds really quiet. Is there any way to fix it or is it all about pushing hard enough?
  2. Basically that's the only way to get more volume out of it, just hit the string harder when tapping.

Another thing that might help, whenever possible, mute the string behind the tapped note. I mean, if you just take one finger on one hand and tap a note, the string is going to vibrate on BOTH sides of that fret (both behind the fret towards the nut, and towards the bridge, which you want). When you do this, it sounds terrible. If you can mute the string on the nut side of the fret, it will definitely improve the sound and volume.

If that's not clear enough, this should explain it.
    Imagine that this is not a tab, but a diagram of the G-string itself with the nut on the left side and the pickups to the right. you want to mute it on the left side of the tapped note.

....Mute HERE^^

That way you only get sound coming from the side you want, and it focuses the vibration to the side with the pickups.
  3. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks, is that why tappers put a hair band on the nut of their basses?
  4. That's the only explanation I could come up with. But I could never find a hairband that fits, they're always too big or too small to get past the tuning pegs.

If your tapping with both hands, like playing something lower with your left and something high with the right, it works out really good cause your left hand can mute the other strings WHILE playing it's own notes. So it's not like you really have to think about it as much.
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Exactly, but it doesn't do anything past the nut. Ideally, your left hand should be resting on the strings while tapping with your right, but sometimes the left hand is so busy and no time for muting. Then's when the scrunchie comes in handy. Unless the piece you're playing involves open strings, it's a good idea to use it every time you play a tapping lick or tune. It helps me, for example, when playing my version of Van Halen's "Cathedral" because it's played with the left hand alone while the right is swelling the volume knob.
  6. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I've been spending alot of time learning to tap recently, and I have come to a conclusion: It kills your finger tips :hyper:

Oh well, I'm having fun learning to tap and can't wait until I can incorporate it into my playing.