Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapping...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fat jonny, Jul 19, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    My brother plays guitar and can tap pretty good, he tried to teach me how to do it like he does but I just cant get it to ring out very loud. I will tap at the twelth fret and release really fast but all it does is a little "dee doo" that you have to really listen to hear. The pull off following the tap I can hear more, but I just can't seem to get it. Is there a secret to tapping on a bass? where can I find some instructions on it? Also, just out of curiosity, how does cliff burton tap those artificial harmonics on anasthesia? Thanks a lot!

2. I haven't tapped properly but what i have done sounds ok. i dunno i just strike it harder than say a guitar.
    As for cliff Burton, well, he's my idle watch all the vids of him playing Pulling Teeth and bloody hell! my Dad saw the video Cliff em all and all he said (in so many words!) was "jees, I have never seen anyone play bass like that in all the years i've been in the music industry."

My advice, don't try. lolol. I can play some of anaethesia but its so hard. cheers [​IMG]

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check the video "The art of Tapping", by Dewayne Pate. It covers the subject pretty well. Setup is part of the equation, so if your strings are lower, it'll be harder to get a good sound. Whatever you do, don't hit too hard. You don't want to hurt your hands.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

4. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Big Wheel,

Nice to see you here in Technique.

Was I wrong in my past assumption that lower action is better for tapping? Please elaborate.

BTW
    I got your email concerning the Lakland controversy. Did you receive my reply? I am concerned that my emails are not getting out through our internet gateway. I sent email a couple of times to gmstudio99, but he never received them. Anyhow, in case you did not receive it, I just wanted to let you know that I did not think you were overreacting, and I agree with your position on baiting a known troublemaker to come to the TalkBass Forum.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hi, Dave T.

Yes, I got your message. Thanks. Sorry, I thought I had sent a reply. Well, they say the mind's the first to go...

But seriously, I don't know how seriously you are into tapping, but I do have a couple of solo bass compositions that use the technique.

Now, I should mention that I do not tap exclusively. What I do is a combination of arpeggios and tapping, in which I hold down and arpeggiate a basic triad, then tap an upper extension of the chord, which I then release, so it goes back to the previous note. Depending on how fast I tap, I can make a slight trill or a mordent if I use more than one note. I'll also tap by hammering on upper structures of a chord over its basic triad, then pulling off. The same principle I described above, but with double stops.

I don't want to say my way is the only way to tap, but in general, the hand technique used in tapping is less like typing on a keyboard, where the fingers do most of the work, than it is like playing a piano, in which your wrist plays a part in providing the attack to create a healthy sounding note. One of the factors that affects your attack is the room your string has to vibrate and that is why slightly higher action will work better.

Lower action would be advantageous if you're interested in a more contrapuntaltapping, but your dynamic range is reduced, which requires a player to raise their amp volume and play with a lighter touch. At any rate, a certain amount of hand movement will be still necessary, as one needs to move from string to string. I find that the advantage of having the higher strings is I can switch from Pizzicato to tapping without much change in my attack. I don't know of anyone using a tapping technique that doesn't use some wrist or hand movement. Then again, I might be wrong.

This is the first time I had to put my tapping technique, which I still feel can be developed further, into words, so some stuff might sound confusing. I don't know. Maybe someone else does it differently and will have something to add.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

6. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    There are some pretty good tapping lessons in the lessons part of Harmony Central Bass Department. That's the URL of the lessons : http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Lessons/

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

[This message has been edited by msaygilar (edited July 21, 2000).]

7. skanking_homer

skanking_homer

Jul 25, 2000
    jonny-
    as far as tapping anestesia, it helps if you tap 7 frets up from the note you're trying to produce a harmonic off of. And if all you're worried about there is the AHs, then you're a lucky boy.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Beaver Felton has a video that shows tapping among other techniques. Actually he has two videos, "Super Chops 4 Bass, Level One" and "Workout". Both these videos have received glowing reviews from Bass Player and Guitar World. They aren't cheap. The "Workout" video is nearly $50.

In 1992, I bought an entire set of books and CDs by Felton also called "Super Chops 4 Bass", and one of the volumns was purely tapping. He does the most amazing tapping solo on the CD for that book, I think I have ever heard. He has some challenging drills, but starts out simply. I'm not sure these books are still available anymore, however. If you are interested, Felton and Dave LaRue have a highly sucessful music store near Orlando called Bass Central. Check their web site. There is a phone number you can call and ask. Good luck in your tapping. You could be the next Beaver Felton. Jason Oldsted

9. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Cool, Thanks for the tips guys, I will check out the stuff you mentioned. Thanks a lot!!

10. Hey... I think Dream Theater's John Myung also has a video out on how to tap.... www.dreamtheater.net is their site.. he's an amazing player =)... hey man can ya make a wav or mp3 of you playing anesthesia and e-mail me it @ ikickuintheballs@aol.com? hehe I wanna hear how other ppl play it.. I've hear some other people's and they're just bad.. hehe even ppl who've been playing more than me (9 months) bur I only know a lil more than half of it =P

-Willz

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveTomasi:

Was I wrong in my past assumption that lower action is better for tapping? Please elaborate.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, the Chapman Stick which is "made" or designed for tapping has an extremely low action, so I would think this is a reasonable assumption to make.

Having done a bit if this myself in the past I think it's definitely easier with a low action, but this doesn't necessarily mean "better" as such. Although it would be my definition - I don't like to make anything harder for myself than necessary.

I tend to use tapping for things that I can't play that fast using conventional techniques and that if you are looking to play fast, low action helps. You are going to need a lot of left hand strength to say, hold down chords for a long time in the left hand, if you have a high action.

I think the best advice for somebody new to this would be to go for a low action and then experiment with what suits you, once you have developed a good technique and left hand strength.