Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by olps, Dec 14, 2001.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    How do you tap exactly? And any tips on how to, I'm interested in learning. And how long does it take to learn? Thanks.:confused:

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Youd probably get better answers if you searched, I know Ive answered this question atleast twice.

First, theres two kinds of tapping

Second, longer than a day

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You "tap" by hitting the frets on the fretboard by using your plucking hand's fingers. Like hammer-ons, but using your other hand.

We'll take a simple Van-Halen-style root-five thing... Take your fretting hand and hold e.g. the G string at the 5th fret. Then take a finger of choice on your plucking hand (I use the index finger, seems natural to me), hit the 12th fret with the fingertip and hold it there. The G should ring loud and clear, just as if you had plucked it the ordinary way.

Then, take the 12th fret finger off the string, so that the C at the 5th fret will sound. Don't just lift your plucking hand fingertip off the strings, but move it kind of in a downward direction so it will "pluck" the string when taking it away. Did both notes sound loud and clear? Congratulations, those are the basics of Van-Halen-style tapping. :)
    Code:
    |-12-5-12-5-|
      R  L R  L
    R = right hand finger, L = left hand finger (i.e. if you're right-handed)

Note that your finger on the 5th fret just stays on that fret holding it down, while your right hand's finger is the one making all the noise.

Then we'll involve the minor 3rd, to tap out a minor chord arpeggio. Do this by using your fretting hand's little finger to strike the 8th fret of the G-string with a hammer-on.
    Code:
    |-12-5-8-12-5-8-|
      R  L L R  L L
    What usually is referred to as two-handed tapping involves a different way of using your fretting hand, and is performed over more than just one string.
    Code:
    G|----------12----------|
    D|-------14----14-------|
    A|----14----------14----|
    E|-12----------------12-|
       L  R  R  L  R  R  R

To play the above, use either the index or middle finger of your left hand to play the L notes, by just hitting down on the fret.
    For the R notes, I find it comfortable using my index finger on the A string and my middle finger on the D string.

If you understand anything of what I've written, play around and see what you can do. If you don't, don't blame me - this is one of these things that is just so much easier to describe between four eyes. So, get a teacher! ;)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Also, I have a book on tapping, called "Progressive Tapping technique for bass guitar" by Stephan Richter. A pretty nice book, might be worth checking out? :)