1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blared, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Blared

Blared

Mar 14, 2008
    I think I might have posted this in the wrong forum before.

Gb|-12t11----------12t11-----14t11-|
    Db|------12t9-----------12t9-------|
    Ab|----------12t10-----------------|
    Eb|--------------------------------|

That's the tab from Heretics & Killers by Protest the Hero.

Not sure how to tap on a bass at all. I've tried watching others do it on Youtube, but the video's not clear enough for me to understand what they're doing.

These are my ideas of what to do after watching about 5 different learn to tap videos.. LH - left hand, RH - right hand.

Do I do this? RH: Index finger slams down on the 12th fret, then LH: finger presses down on the 11th fret. Then I continue with the other notes?

OR
    LH: Holds down the 11th fret (like when playing reg. notes), while RH: Presses down on the 12th fret then pulls down (kinda like when regularly pulling the string with your rh)?

OR
    Am I doing it completely wrong. Thanks a bunch.
    Help would be much appreciated.

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    hold the note down on the first note
    "12"
    the tap the second note
    "11"
    hold it for how ever long you need to
    then pull off, pulling the string or plucking it slightly to get the
    "12"
    to ring out.

how i would play it

sorry if i was a little unclear on the explanation.
    Just starting tapping my self,
    multi effects pedal with delay + tapping - hours and hours of fun.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's actually not very hard. If you're new to tapping then yeah, it may be a little difficult. But I think this riff may be good to learn on (although I haven't heard the song and I dunno how it really sounds.

What you do is with your fretting hand, hold down on the frets that come have the 12th fret. This actually makes a chord. I couldn't tell you which one, but it's a chord shape from what I can tell.

So think of it like this:
    --11--
    --9---
    --10--

And you just hold those down. Then with your free hand, you just press down on the twelth fret of whatever string, then sorta slide it off like you were fingering the note. Just practice on that and you'll get it in no time.

4. I think, that`s a Gmaj7 w/o 5th.
    Btw, I like how the sound of this riff, pretty:)

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    A great way to do this is to form the following chord with your left hand:

G|-11
    D|--9
    A|-10
    E|---

But DON'T press them down. Just have that shape ready. Tap the first 12 with your right hand with significant force, THEN lay down your finger for the 11 on the G, but not the rest of the chord. Pull off with your right hand so the left hand note rings out. As you go to tap the next 12 with your right hand, release the 11 on the G. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the run.

The reason you don't want to hold the chord the whole time is because it lowers the string. The more string travel for your right hand to use, the higher the velocity, and thus, the more volume. Tapping onto open strings yields a volume very similar to a plucked note, and this will help your two-hand runs stand out better.

And good luck. Heretics and Killers is a pretty tough song. Lots of fast right-hand work. Great place to start for tech-y metal style stuff.

6. actually contrary to what people have said so far, the notes on the left hand are not singled out.. All the notes on the left hand are supposed to be held down for the entire thing, so they ring out like chords.
    the bass part is sort of hard to hear out all the details on kezia because they mixed it pretty low.

I actually know this song spot on.

You hold the 11, 9, 10 with you left hand at the same time, like a chord.
    Gb|-11
    Db|--9
    Ab|-10
    Eb|---

and than one by one tap out the 12s and pull them off to sound the left hand notes.

and that tab is slightly off. I'll write it in a better way.

this is closer to the way he plays it.

Gb|---12p11--------14p11-12p11----------------|
    Db|-----------12p9-----------------12p9----------|
    Ab|----------------------------------------12p10--|
    Eb|-------------------------------------------------|

just remember that every 12 is tapped with the right hand, and the left hand notes are always held down simultaneously. and I've changed the tap symbols to pull-offs because that's basically what you'll be doing between the your right and left hand. the right pulls off to the left hand notes.

7. Blared

Blared

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks guys. Thanks for the tabs too Gawd. I'm working on it. :)

8. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    FWIW, that would be a GMaj7 chord (G-B-F#). The fifth of the chord (D) is missing, but is considered unnecessary to express the tonality.

(N.B. If what another commentor has said is true, the bass is tuned down a half-step, and so this would actually be a GbMaj7 -- Gb-Bb-F).

9. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    AND the "14", don't forget :)

10. Blared

Blared

Mar 14, 2008
  11. yes! and the 14 :p