1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Trist6075, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm interested in the style of tapping on the bass. I think it is a really unique sound and I want to learn it and become familiar with it and such. I don't know that much about it though. All i know is that are you supposed to strike down on the string against the fretboard with your left fingers? Also don't you use you right index/middle finger to repeditly play the E string as well? Can anyone explain tapping to me or how to go about it? Maybe a web site or something? Thanks a lot.

Tristan

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Bah...you've got the website right here:) Do a search for 'tapping' in the technique forum and I GUARNATEE you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for weeks.

To sort of quickly answer your question, tapping is really just another way of striking/fretting notes. You use your left hand to 'hammer' notes, instead of fretting and plucking. Later, you can use your right hand to do exactly the same thing; that's called two hand tapping.

But trust me, do a search...you'll learn a lot. Take care.

Alex