Tappity tap... cank cank cank...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nailuj1987, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Ok . a little question on tapping . some helpful soul give me some input here . apreciated.

when i tap. the neck portion of the strings ring as well. as it rings it sorta gives me a cank canking sound resulting in a basd soundand reduces the sustain of the note as well. i stop it by having my fretting hand muting them but it really limits me. whats wrong here?
  2. Nothing's wrong, that's just something that happens. Some people like to keep a hair scrunchie behind the nut and slide it over the strings to mute open ones. You also might slide some folded fabric under the string behind the first fret. I usually just mute with my index finger. Instruments made for tapping have built in mutes.
  3. Try making sure when you fret the tap that you come at an angle more towards the bridge, so you push down, and into the fretwire. If I get what you mean right, it just sounds like it's not quite being fretted correctly, so it's going all over the shop. If you firmly fret backwards at an angle with your right hand, it should be OK. To think of it another way, you've got to mimic the way that when you fret with your left hand you fret down to by the fret wire.

Get what I mean?
  4. That friend is not the issue...
  5. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Get soundproof headphones and turn them up quite a bit. That way you'll always know what your bass will sound like through the amp without the house shaking down. If not, then deal with it if you can't mute it with your left hand.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw the title to this thread and though you had ripped off one of my basslines. ;)