1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taras Prodaniuk playing a D Lakin w/ Richard Thompson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UpperBout, Jun 16, 2014.

1. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

Saw him Fri & Sat and he played his ?Jazz?.

Glad Dan got one of his new basses in the hands of such a capable & tasteful player.

Crappy picture is iPhone through binoculars... Sorry ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402960520.460618.

GregC, fuzzychaos and ModuMan like this.
  2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Now that's what I'M takin' 'bout!

3. UpperBout

Another "iPhone through binoculars" pic, this time of Taras playing the D Lakin.

He played it for a total of 3 songs, I think. 1 song during the set and then for the encores (can't remember if they played 2 or 3 encores)
    2014-06-16 19.37.56.

4. UpperBout

Taras is an amazing player. I love Richard Thompson. Even so, I found myself watching Taras as much as I did RT.

He plays certain things in a way that sonically you would swear he was playing a fretless and flats. Nope. Fretted jazz bass, rounds. Just great technique.

5. Smooth_bass88

Sooooo...how did it sound??

6. fender68

fender68

Jun 7, 2011
    I LOVE a candy apple red jazz. These D Lakin basses are really giving me gas!!

7. UpperBout

Well, it sounded like an extremely "polite" jazz bass. By that I mean clean notes, fairly scooped. Not a ton of grunt, growl, or bloom.

And -- I don't actually think it was necessarily a fair comparison. The jazz-style bass that Taras most frequently played over the 3 nights I saw him seemed to be one of those "magic" instruments that gives forth these huge organic notes. I am not sure whether what he was playing was the 1972 Fender Jazz he has referred to in interviews, or whether it was some flavor of a reliced custom bass. You can see it here (pic #5 & #7). I don't recognize the headstock sigil. Anyone know?

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.17.46 PM.

Anyway, back to the Lakin: It certainly sounded quite good. If I were blind-folded and you had told me it was a brand new Geddy Lee or stock Fender of any variety, I would have believed it. Based on scuttle-butt I've read here and a few comments from friends that have played some D Lakin prototypes here in Chicago, I wanted to be more impressed than I actually was. (Especially since he's a home-town boy).

For the record, two nights prior to this show, I saw him play a Lakland for a few songs and I didn't like his tone with the Lakland bass as much as his main mystery bass either. Maybe that bass is just "home" for him and his tone reflects it.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That looks like a Valley Arts logo on the image above. They were a small LA custom shop that was frequented by a lot of top-gun players over 25-30 years ago, they sold the brand to Gibson a while back.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/valleyarts/

9. UpperBout

According to another thread on TB, Taras worked at Valley Arts, so your suggestion seems extremely likely. Thanks.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I exist but to serve !

11. UpperBout

Found this posted to YouTube. Not my vid, and not high-fidelity audio, but a pretty decent vid of Taras Prodaniuk playing that D Lakin w/ Richard Thompson in an encore number

12. Smooth_bass88

Cool vid... the D. Lakin bass sounds GOOD.

13. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Blocks! Cool

14. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    I recently played the P and J that Ed Friedland has on hand, they were nothing short of amazing, the graphite rods in the necks take them to the next level, super-lively and even all over the neck. I'm getting a P, gotta have it.