1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Target Approach with rock?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Not4You, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
    I see it is mentioned within a Jazz context...Can you adapt the target approach to rock?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

NO! You can not! It's against the rules. Don't you know that rock and roll music is governed by very strict rules, which are not to be broken ever? If you try to play too technically, or worse yet, attempt to apply jazz techniques in rock music, Gene Simmons will come to your house in full battle make up and attack you with an axe shaped Kramer bass guitar. It will hurt. It's safest to stick to playing 1/8 notes on the root note. If you want to try anything else, you'd better check the rock and roll code of conduct before playing it.

(/ sarcasm)

Give it a try - there's no rules in music, especially rock!

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Part of what made Motown work was that all the musicians were Jazz musicians and incorporated a lot of jazz into their playing. Generally I play whatever I think sounds right. Sometimes jazzier stuff works best, sometimes the root works best. If it sounds good play.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Rock music tends to lean towards classical theories.

I've never heard of the Target Appoarch in a classical context.

check out theory of harmony. most pop and rock music is based on it.

5. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Yeah it works, my rock lines really improved after I read Ed Friedland's Building Walking Bass lines and incorporated that stuff into my rock playing.