Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Target sells guitars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BuiltByBlues, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Yes.

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. No.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Who cares?

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. All right guys, seriously, since when did target sell guitars? I was walking down the electronics isle and stumbled upon some guitars. They are seriously selling guitars and basses. In fact they have 2 different acoustic guitars to choose from, 1 electric guitar and 1 electric bass. They have amps, pedals and all you need like a REAL guitar store. The problem is that they are normal guitar prices for really cheap guitars. If any one else thinks this is completely ridiculous please tell me your feedback. Also don't let your friends buy their kids this crap.

http://www.target.com/gp/search.htm...eld-keywords=guitar&url=index=target&x=20&y=5.

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Yeah, it's those terrible "FirstAct" guitars probably. All the retail chains carry them now.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    crap-ola, or is that a jeff beck album? anyway......unfortunatley after a couple of months when the neck is bowed or ed, it will discourage kids from playing. i wouldnt mind buying the guitars and basses and doing a pete townshend on them.

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    the poll is for wheter or not you think its rediculous, not whether or not they actually sell guitars. My response is... who cares? if you don't have to buy them there, then why should it affect you in any way? If anything it will have kids shopping with their mommies learning how to play guitar at a younger age and maybe actually becoming decent players by the time they mature. Department stores have sold guitars for decades. Danelectros used to be sold under the name 'silver tone' at sears.

5. The prices on those things are kinda crazy though. I'm sure they come close to the price of a squier pack. Say what you will about Squier, but they're at least built well enough to last more than a few months.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How can you comment on the build quality?

You.... BOUGHT one?:eek:

They are probably made in the same geographical area as your vaunted Squiers.

Brand snobs... sheesh...

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I think it's a good idea for the propagation of new players. The price point seems to be in line for the quality, or rather lack of quality in the instruments, but our capitalistic free market economy will ultimately dictate whether or not the price is competitive or not. In fact, davetakis, if you buy enough of them for the Townshend routine, you could guarantee their place in the Target lineup forever! The fact that they are so inexpensive and in front of a substantially larger audience than they would be in "music only" venues, should get more of them into prospective musicians' hands. Likely some hands that may no have ever come into contact with instruments otherwise, and help the burgeoning new talent pool to expand at a greater rate than if Target, Walmart, etc. didn't offer them for sale.

8. Well I myself, work in the retail biz. we are just trying to get a slice of the pie. I used to work for target and we never carried those until like the past year I think they started carring them. I work for Best Buy now and we carry the fender/gibson knockoffs which are not all that bad. I do know of some stores that are carring full line guitars like the store in Riverside, Cali. you can walk in there and get "real" gibsons off of the rack. Its not custom shop that I am aware of but it is nice stuff... amps, mikes, keyboards, even strings straps and things of that nature.

I personaly think its cool, I mean I would rather support my local music stores... but If I can get a bass, strings, and everything else I need at my awesome discount then hey... Im going to shop there, unless they dont carry it. If I get a any of the Gibson bass/guitar line at cost plus 5%, its a no brainer. No retail or online shop can give me that kind of a deal... period! :p

9. No, but I did play one (well, the one I played was in a Best Buy, but whatever). First bass of mine was a squier and was a better instrument. Not great, but better. I don't really see where the manufacture was as having any relevence. My yammie bb also came from that "general geographic region" and it's my baby. I guess they're good for new players and all that, but that doesn't mean I have to appreciate the instrument itself.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay, well to be more direct, First Act and Squiers are all probably made on the same island in the same factory in the Indonesian archipelago.

11. I like the Elmo guitar. :D

:rollno:

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I, for one, am all for it...

sure they are crap guitars.. but for kids, that's fine.

Here's why:

1) Parents with no musical background can and will be confused going to a guitar shop. Some places can be REALLY intimidating, and we all know that sales staff in real music stores aren't always the nicest folks to noobs... It takes a special sales person to help a mother buy the first instrument for her kid...

2) Especially, since if that kid is under the age of 15, there's a good chance that music isn't going to stick, just like any new interest won't stick.

3) Target is a known comodity, and with the lack of choices, it's easy to pick.

When parents of kids I know ask me about what to buy, I steer them to Gelb in Redwood City. I've seen their bass guy go from helping me (an intermeidate noob), to a guy trying out a $2,500.00 bass... to helping a mother buy the first bass for her kid... and his apprahc doesn't change. No treating anyone differently...

For parents who aren't as lucky to get that assistance, Target works... If music sticks, the kids will move up in a year or 2 after they've outgrown the instrument, just like we all did.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude....why were you shopping for electronics in Target? Looking for a deal on some cheeseball boombox?? :D

I think it's cool that they sell guitars. I can go in there and wank away on Higher Ground of Enter Sandman without a bunch of other wankers scowling at me. :D :D

-Mike

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    MJ5150..at my Target, the instruments are strapped down so you can't play them and the juvenille delinquints can't strip them (they have to go to GC, Sam Ash or the autoshows to do that..)

My local Wal-Mart sells guitars, dulcimers (who the heck in the Chicago area plays a dulchimer???)....Costco sells guitars and drum sets at Christmas time, etc.

The Target display has a demo box so you can hear what the cool effects pedals sound like too...I drove my poor 15 year old son nuts groovin' to that stuff!!!

Besides...today's cheap guitars are worlds better than cheap guitars (Tiesco) 30 years ago...and cheaper too!!!

15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I actually don't have a Target by me, but at the Best Buy they sell Fender "Starcaster" guitars. I think they go for just as much as a real (beginner) guitar would go for at any decent music store. I personally dislike the idea because there are a lot of aspects of capitalism that I don't like, but I was just too in awe of Fender and Best Buy when only after the third time reading the ad I realized it said "Starcaster" instead of "Stratocaster." Shame on me...:bag:

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Starcaster vs. Stratocaster is an easy thing to miss... Having seen those at Costco, they look like a Squier Stratocaster with a triangular shaped headstock...